What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Temp accuracy, Vans gauge vs new EI

Walt

Well Known Member
Interesting to note that when I recently upgraded to the Electronics International oil pres/temp gauge I immediately noticed an increased oil temp. The difference is about 20 degrees warmer, the average of 160 on the vans gauge I used to see is 180 degrees now. I believe the difference may not be so much the gauge but the location of the temp probe. When I installed the vans adapter and the probe I didn't initially see any problem with the setup, but when I removed them as a unit (adapter and probe together) it was obvious that the probe was almost totally enclosed buy the adapter and not really in the oil flow at all! In contrast the EI probe needs no adapter and sticks way into the oil port. So... just thought I would throw this out there to the folks that are using the vans setup you might have a similar situation and your temps may be higher than you think. I'd also like to thank the folks at EI, I special ordered my instrument to match the others in my panel (no stripe and "old" incadesent light) and customs temps, the new instrument was in my hands in a week! The folks at EI are friendly to work with, they have premium quality stuff and the support is as good as it gets!

That's interesting. I also recently changed from Van's gauge to the EI (UBG-16) oil temp and didn't see a change at all.

Back