What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you do this?

Brantel

Well Known Member
Can A GRT EFIS coupled to a SL-30 or 430 drive a ADI Pilot II and do ILS approaches with vertical guidance as well?

Sorry but no...you'll need a minimum of a Digiflight IIVSG to hook to a GRT....as it uses ARINC 429 communication for the vertical steering commands (as well as GPSS lateral), and the ADI Pilot uses only serial (which is only good for lateral - non GPSS commands).

If you stick with the Digiflight IIVSG or above, it'll work fine.

Cheers,
Stein.

SteinAir said:
Sorry but no...you'll need a minimum of a Digiflight IIVSG to hook to a GRT....as it uses ARINC 429 communication for the vertical steering commands (as well as GPSS lateral), and the ADI Pilot uses only serial (which is only good for lateral - non GPSS commands).

If you stick with the Digiflight IIVSG or above, it'll work fine.

Stein.

What about coupled to a G296 handheld?

I might be directing this ? to the wrong person, but what good does GRT's $400 internal GPS option accomplish?

Has to be a IIVSG(V)? Must have vertical and lateral steering?

Whats the dif. between the VSG and the VSGV? I only see a description for the VSGV on your website.

Ok, I went to trutraks website and see that its "vertical GPS steering". Can you explain what this adds? TIA.

Last edited:
The original question was if the ADI pilot could be coupled to the GRT/SL-30 and shoot approaches, to which I responded NO.

Now, you CAN hook the ADI to the GRT and fly laterally just fine (via RS-232), as you can with your handlend Garmin or other. The issue was with the approach capability. To get the approach capability you need an autopilot which accepts ARINC commands such as a VSGV or above.

To simply fly a course from the GPS signal you can use a handheld or GRT's internal GPS. Any of the TruTrak autopilots will follow a GPS course. This is GPS NAV, which all of their AP's have and it works fine with the GRT...just no approaches or vertical guidance capability.

Hope that helps simplify things.

Cheers,
Stein

Back