What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-9 Wing Length

txaviator

Well Known Member
I see in the spec's the -9 wingspan listed at 28-feet. By subtracting the fuselage width dimension, then working some rough numbers, it appears each wing will be about 12.5-feet long during construction?

Can someone verify this as being pretty close to correct?

I am pre-planning for wing building, and trying to plan ahead on how I am going to rearrange my shop. Thanks in advance.

Gary,
Are you going to be at Mid-Way tomorrow? I have a -9A in my shop. I will measure the wings tonight and report to you there.
Mel...DAR

Mel,

I will be there! I would appreciate the wing-length info.

Since we haven't met, I will ask around and I am sure I will eventually find you :D

Thanks,

(pic of Mel for Gary)

Gary,
Mel is the guy in the cowboy hat (taken at LOE4):

IMG_2218.jpg

Few people have trouble finding me. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Mel...DAR

spar length

Gary. Just got my spars up on the fixture last weekend. The spars themselves are almost exactly 133" +/- .25" from end to end. I don't yet know how much the spar roots extend inboard of the skins, if that's information you need. I won't know until I get the tank skins or ribs on. The wingtips are HUGE too. They probably add another 16-18" EACH to the wing length, so make sure you factor that into your math if your starting from the wingspan overall. If you need me to I can measure the actual size of the tips or any other measurement this evening.

Steve

Thanks, guys. That is exactly what I needed to know. Mel, I've got the measurement I need, so please don't make a trip to the shop just to take this measurement! I appreciate the offer, and I will "find you anyway", at the event tomorrow.

Take care,

Wing length

Gary,

Don't worry about the wing tips affecting the length of the wings. They are not put on until you are at the airport. I put mine on the wings when they were in the storage cradle at home in the garage. That allowed me to drill all the holes for the 4-40 plate nuts and mounting screws. Then I removed them until I got the wings installed at the airport. The wing tips are too fragile to even think about having them on the wings during transport TO the airport.

As far as your wing jig is concerned, just be sure you have enough room to clear the skins when they are clecoed to the wing spar. You will need to make a piece of aluminum angle to cleco or bolt to the wing tip rib to hold the wing to the jig. At the "wing root" end there is plenty of spar left over to pass over the wing jig support angle. You can look at my pages 3, 4, and 5 to get some ideas.

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a003.htm

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
At the airport, final assembly.

Back