What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Near Miss between two RV's

fodrv7

Well Known Member
A few days ago I flew Gerry- flying mate of 34 years- to Adelaide to pick up his RV-8 from maintenance.

Being a gentleman, Gerry throttle back on the way home so I could keep up with him in my -7.
We were sitting under a 4500' step and I was about 200 yds behind him when he began a slow turn to the left.
He called to say he was "Checking out his autopilot" and then began a turn back to the right.
In the turn he lost the 200yds he had on me and was sliding back beutifully to formate on my port wing.
When he got close enough for me to see him in the cockpit, I was alarmed to see he was head down fiddling with the autopilot and I pulled up hard right and of course immediately lost sight of him under my port wing, so I climb 300', before I gingerly rolled left to see him straight and level below.

HE NEVER SAW ME!

After landing we discussed it and both decided that if we were NOT going to fly formation we should brief that and agree on 200' altitude separation.

I offer this experience to demonstrate that even two buddies who were flying instructors 34 years previously and have since flown a lot together, can be caught out.

Pete.

Back