What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vans gas caps maintenance

turbo

Well Known Member
at 2,400 hrs i noticed a gas cap had changed its feel when closing it. the culprit was a 2 cent roll pin that was deforming. i replaced both of them and feel i am good for a few more years. i also lube the gasket with a waxy substance that was given to me by a knowlegable rv'er.

Ed,

While it's fresh in your mind, can you tell us what size roll pin we should be carrying in the tool kit in case one breaks while on an away mission? I'm carying a spare cap, but a couple pins woudl be a whole lot lighter....

Paul

Another fix we used back on the -6A was to replace the roll pins in the gas caps with the appropriate size drill bit cut to length. This got rid of the cheezy roll pins, and after seven years, I have had no problems with the caps.

Just a thought.

If memory serves, the mandrel from a 3/32 Cherry rivet will serve in a pinch.

Glad you brought this up. I think I'll replace those pins with some music wire or something.

While it's fresh in your mind, can you tell us what size roll pin we should be carrying in the tool kit in case one breaks while on an away mission?

Paul, stop by a welding shop and ask them for a short length of 1/16" stainless welding rod. I carry a 6" stick of it in the flight bag and a new pin can be cut from it with wire cutters at a moments notice. I have used the stainless pins in both caps for years with no failures. The pins will deform instead of fracturing.

got a leaker

One of my fuel caps is leaking through the center stem. Does anyone know of a link to a "rebuild" and "adjust" process? I'm not even sure the adjustment on for the expandomatic O ring is correct. How would one know what is the best fit for that, ie, how much does the nut get tightened?

Bob Brown said:
One of my fuel caps is leaking through the center stem. Does anyone know of a link to a "rebuild" and "adjust" process? I'm not even sure the adjustment on for the expandomatic O ring is correct. How would one know what is the best fit for that, ie, how much does the nut get tightened?
Use fuelube (EZ-Turn). No leaks in 1225+ hours with lubed up caps & o-rings.

Bob Brown said:
Try Fuel Lube or EZ Turn on the shaft.
Also, be careful when adjusting the o-ring fit. The large washer is threaded and must be turned to squeeze the o-ring. The nut is used to lock the assembly. It won't tighten the o-ring by itself.

-mike

Back