What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Throttle Cable

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, the Valkyrie now has a new Throttle Cable to match it's (almost) new mixture cable the Throttle lasted about 90 hours longer than the mixture cable did - 410 hours on the clock. Both replacements were with the same stock Van's cables - you'd think I would learn, but this is the path of least resistance.....The good news is that with the experience I gained doing the mixture cable, the throttle only took may 3 hours from start to finish - including removing and replacing the cowling, and I threw in an air cleaner service at the same time.

I didn't wait until the cable failed on me - I could feel it getting a bit stiff, and new what was coming, so I ordered a fresh cable, and decided not to wait until I had a complete lock-up. Still, once the old cable was off, and in my hands, I could barely move the inner portion by hand. I am very glad I changed it when I did! I confirmed it was the cable before doing the major disassembly by disconnecting it from the carb, and feeling that the throttle lever was still very stiff. For those thinking they might need to do this, here are a few tips:

1) Remove the forward baggage floor - it takes a few minutes to do this, but will save a lot of time trying to snake the cable back through the gear tower.

2) I avoided having to disassemble the quadrant by unscrewing the inner cable from the yoke with the yoke still on the throttle lever - once you have the cable disconnected from the carb, and pulled out straight, just turn the inner core (from the front) to unscrew it.

3) Having a helper feed the new cable in through the gear tower from the forward baggage door makes it much easier (you need to be in the cockpit to receive it).

4) Remember where all the jam nuts and adjustment are before you take the old unit out - restore those same fitting when re-installing, and it will save a LOT of messing around, trying to get it right!

The best part of this? The new cable came directly from Van's with the Tuthill/Cablecrafter label still attached, with big red lettering saying "Not for use in Aircraft!" I am thinking that I am going to look for a new brand to have on hand before 350 hours roll around again.... ;)

Paul

Ironflight said:
The best part of this? The new cable came directly from Van's with the Tuthill/Cablecrafter label still attached, with big red lettering saying "Not for use in Aircraft!" I am thinking that I am going to look for a new brand to have on hand before 350 hours roll around again.... ;)
Paul, FWIW, all 3 of my cables (same type, Van's/Tuthill) have now been replaced. I did the throttle & mixture cable around 800 hours, and the mixture around 1200. Smooth as silk once again, but I'm sure it won't be the last time I replace 'em!

Try: http://www.acsproductsaz.com/index.htm

These guys make cables designed for use in aircraft. Great company, makes custom cables to your spec very quickly and priced competitively. Aircraft Spruce (not related) is a distributor as is Van's. But, not all of Van's cables are from them, obviously. It is easier to order stuff direct from the guys above.

<<Aircraft Spruce (not related) is a distributor......>>

They are related, but apparently operate independently. ACS Products is run by Jim Irwin's brother John. Family bio has been in the front of the Spruce catalog as long as I can remember.

Any good mechanic will tell you that the control cables and hoses on airplanes should ALL be very carefully inspected if not replaced every 500 hours of operation. I know we RV'ers think we are building pyramids but our real motivation for homebuilding is to "control" our own destinies..... part of which requires maintenance.

Back