What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vectical Mount Compass in place of DG.

I was looking at Bobby Hester's RV-9A as the RV of the week, and looking at the placement of the vertical mount compass.

Would interference be too great to mount it under the dynon? I don't see how that small displacement could affect it too much.

What if the dynon was replaced with a trutrak adi. What would then be the interference?

Thanks

Forget the compass. It's right in there with A-N ranges. When was the last time you used a compass for navigation? Do you really have a need for one?

The Dynon fulfills the requirement to have on board a "...magnetic direction indicator..". Verify that your local DAR/FSDO agree as some still need prodding out of the dark ages. There are other threads on this topic.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Yeah, I never use a compass anymore either. One thing I like about vertical mount, however, is that if a controller gives a heading that is 90 degrees or more from my current heading, I would know which way to start the turn. (I'm pretty dense :) )

Another question about the dynon, How easy (or how fast) is it to set the heading bug?

Also, would the heading indicator on the Trutrak ADI, be considered a "Magnetic Direction Indicator"?

Thanks again.

Back