What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Update Polishing

nucleus

Well Known Member
RV6A Build Update

I spentabout twohours today polishing the rudder bars where they pivot, trying to get smooth action. Also been working on the cowling.

rudderpedals2.jpg

RV6Aentire.jpg

Last edited:
Yes

It looks really good so far. BTW, now is the best time to finish mounting the wheel fairings and pants because once the wings are on, you're gonna be pe-ohd having to crawl on your knees under the wings. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Regards,

More Progress; Baffling, Exhaust

Well, I still have to put the panel and wiring in before we put the wings on. Here are a couple of shots of the baffling I was working on today:

BafflingRV6A-1.jpg

BafflingRV6A.jpg

Between the back and the sides we are putting in nutplates instead of rivets for ease of removal.
Here is a shot of my exhaust with a Jet-Hot "Copperhead" ceramic coating:
VettermanExhaustRV6A.jpg

I just had it confirmed that it is not the correct exhaust, it is for a forward facing sump, not the downdraft sump I have.

Hans

Last edited:
RV6A Update 3.27.2007

rv6aoverview.jpg

Okay, we hung the elevators and rudder today. The wings are on temporarily to put on the wing root fairings. They guy in the picture is Noel Simmons of Blue Sky Aviation who is helping me build the plane. He is the guys with all the great wiring.

rv6aleftwingtip.jpg

The left wingtip has the power suppy for the strobes (labbeled AVI-PAK), the electronic control gear box for the HID (High Intensity Discharge) landing lights that are built into the leading edge of the wings, and two solid state relays that are mounted on large green heatsinks. These are rated for 9 amps even though the highest amp item is the landing light only pulls up to 9 amps at startup, 3 amp continuous. The little beige thingies that kind of look like flat capacitors are polyfuses, they trip and reset themselves.

rv6arightwingtip.jpg

The right wingtip only has one relay, and the box for the HID landing light.

rv6atailelectronics.jpg

The tail shows the magnetometer for the EFIS, which is the black box, and the ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)which is the orange box.

RV6AHIDLandingLight.jpg

The close up is one of the landing lights in the wing.

More updates soon,

Hans

Trip to Lewistown

Hey Brian, I'm glad you posted, you have been on my mind. I am there most Tuesdays and Saturday, and I am going to be there Saturday and Sunday of Easter weekend. Just call me or email me to be sure I am going. My occasional helper is seven.

Hans

4.7.2007 RV6A Update

Okay, I got the rudder pedals installed, and the brake lines all hooked up:

rv6rudderpedalsinstalled.jpg

RV6ABrakellinedetail.jpg

I plan to blow out the bake lines and then bleed the brakes tommorrow.

I also put on the right wing root fairing:

RV6Awingrootgap.jpg

The wing root fairings are to cover the nasty gap between the wing and the fuselage shown above.

RV6Awingrootholemarks.jpg

First you drill out the rivets that you are going to replace with nutplates to be able to take the fairing on and off. Next time I build a plane I will try to remember to skip every third rivet on the top of the wing so I can drill the two holes at the same time. Since you want to hit the holes that are already there in the wing you make these marks to help locate the holes.

RV6AWingrootlines.jpg

Then you lay your aluminum down and trace the lines with a straightedge and drill the hole where they meet. If you have done it right your drill will just drop into the hole in the wing. The shot above shows after I have drilled a few holes and then clecoed the fairing to the wing.

RV6Awingrootstart.jpg

You try to get as tight a wrap as possible.

RV6AWingrootdone.jpg

And I still had a bit of a gap on the leading edge. This really is all new to me, as I bought this plane mostly done (thank you Stuart).

We are out of nutplates, so I am a little stuck on finishing that stuff.

More soon,

Hans

RV6A Build Update 4.10.2007

Today I worked on the plenum and baffling:
RV6AMarkingBaffling.jpg

First I cut the plenum so it would fit inside the baffling.

RV6AMarkingBaffling2.jpg

Then I marked the baffling

RV6APostBafflingCut.jpg

Cut the baffling and the top of the plenum down, put the lower cowling on

RV6APostBaffCutTopCowl.jpg

Then put the top cowl to check fitment. This is the first time the top cowl has been on with the plenum on at the same time.

RV6AFuellinechange.jpg

I reworked the pistion of some of the fuel lines and their adel clamps to keep them from rubbing on the plenum.

RV6APlenumAlignment.jpg

Here is a shot where you can see the opening of the plenum through the opening of the cowling.

RV6APlenumAlignment2.jpg

I have to hold the plenum with my hand to hold this alignment. I spent about five hours getting the pleum to fit without holding it. There is a lot of work to be done still, getting it all tied together.

RV6A Panel Update 4.10.2007

RV6APanelProgress1.jpg

Meanwhile Noel was working on the panel.

RV6APanelProgress2.jpg

He got almost all of it set in the panel before I left.

RV6APanelProgress4.jpg

Left Panel with Grand Rapids EFIS, Garmin 430 GPS/NAVCOM, Trutrak autopilot, and a hole for the backup ADI, switches.

RV6APanelProgress5.jpg

Left and center panel, the center holds second GR EFIS, Garmin GTX-327 transponder, and SL-40 radio.

RV6APanelProgress3.jpg

Right panel has the ELT controller, backup altitude and airspeed, third EFIS, Audio panel, engine monitor, and ipod mount.

RV6AWarningPlacard.jpg

Here is the mandatory warning placard with our extra comment below.

Next day is all about nutplates!

Hans

Back