What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

260-310 Horse GM V6!!

maddog

I'm New Here
Greetings all. Decided to sign up in order to share this with you after lurking in the shadows for a while!

Came accross this wee gem and it seems quite exciting, and best of all from what I can see - its flying!

Its a company in Brisbane Austraaalya who have developed it. A GM Isuzu based V6, normally aspirated or supercharged, running through what looks like a belt drive PSRU. Liquid cooled, ignition ECU redundancies etc. No numbers re weight, however the site mentions a 'light' engine.

It looks the part. This will be one I'll be watching for more info..

Have a look, be interested to see your comments

http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/Engine.htm

By the way - any updates on the Vesta V8 being fitted to the RV10??

Looks like the engine from the Rodeo/Trooper SUV line. Good, solid engine. There's one with 122,000 miles on it sitting under the hood of my Rodeo in the garage and I'm looking for it to go another 122K. In normally aspirated auto form, the 3.2 liter variant puts out 205 HP. Not sure about it's prospects for durability under continuous high power applications, though. I'm not an auto engine in an airplane kind of guy, I guess.

Dave

Well the Vesta V-8 is on the plane. I have spent time between hooking up the engine, finishing my wing bottom skins and do the last of the glass work on the elevators and horizontal. The problem with working on the engine now is that it is 40 minutes away from my house. Since I'm putting A/C in I have to hook up all those lines before I can run the engine. There is a giant learning curve in setting this up. I have never installed an AC system before but I am learning a lot. I still have to run the electrical wires for the engine, throttle and supercharger cable and starter wire. I have posted pictures somewhere on this site with the engine on the plane. I am going to try to run the engine in two to three weeks. No wings on the plane and without a prop. I will use fans to blow air through the radiators. I won't make it to Sun-N-Fun but I will make it to OSH!

No fans

Hi Todd,
From my old car racing days, I remember running engines without a fan many times as long as the water pump is turning. You'll be surprised at just how long you can run one in this cool kinda temperature. My boss used to have to sit on the end of the runway for quite a while warming up his P-51.

Regards,

Might be a while...

maddog said:
It looks the part. This will be one I'll be watching for more info..

Have a look, be interested to see your comments

http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/Engine.htm

This engine looks like a much better place to start. I really enjoy the exhaust system to make the Spitfire look right. Sadly, the webpage was created in 2003 and "last modified" in 2004. You might have a bit of a wait.

John Clark
RV8 N18U
KSBA

Pierre,
I will try it with out the fans then! You need to come by sometime and take a look.
Thanks,

Thanks for the update Todd, really looking forward to hearing your progress there.

Will your machine be the first Vesta V8 to fly? The Vesta site mentions other projects that have/are in the pipeline, but as yet, I havent found any reference to any that are up and running.

All the best.

He says he has two flying in other planes. I have no idea where or what they are in and I have not spoken with any other person that has one in. Mine will be the first in a RV-10 I know for sure.

Thanks Todd.
All the best for your project and really look forward to your reports once you get it up and running...and its gonna sound GREAT!!!!

The engine is running! I posted in another thread. Fired it up yesterday. Started with about two or three cranks. Still waiting on the prop. Should get here this week.

Back