What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D-10 calibration

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
OK, time to whine and cry. I had my carbon fiber panel made up a couple years ago. I already had my harness custom fabricated. Here is the quagmire. I have my 430 below my Dynon D10 (original product)directly above it. Well, this was all done prior to Dynon experiencing the breaking of squelch after hooking up the remote sensor. I opted to hold off until now, the last minute, of putting the forward deck on hoping someone would come up with a different arrangement than Dynon's ONLY fix, a 90 degree do hickey between the harness and the 21 pin connection. Well Dynon still ONLY has the 90 degree. This is of absolutely no use to me.

How close has anyone been able to get doing the calibration of the original D10 without the remote unit. Again, my harness is already made up using the D10 output, the D10A output will not work on my harness.

Dear Abby, Dear Abby:-(

Why not "remote" the dongle (90-deg adapter)? In other words, who says the dongle needs to be plugged directly into the back of the D10?

I figure a good & relatively cheap experiment would be to buy male & female D25 connectors and wire up your own, say 2" extension. That way you can "flex" the dongle out of the way of whatever is in the way...

Know what I mean? What's the worst case, it doesn't work and you're out like 4 bucks and an hour or two?

dan said:
Why not "remote" the dongle (90-deg adapter)? In other words, who says the dongle needs to be plugged directly into the back of the D10?

Well after looking at it some more and doing some serious behind/seat/brain scratching, I'm off to see the wizard (Aero (Radio) Shack) to do just that. Why is everything so darn painfully obvious:).

We say the dongle needs to be plugged in to the back of the D10 ;)

Remoting the EMI reduction dongle will very quickly reduce the functionality of it. It needs to be very close to the EFIS to work. 2" might be ok- you'll just have to try it.

If you aren't using the EFIS as a parallel transponder encoder, only two wires need to be switched out at the end of the EDC cable to switch to a D10A.

dynonsupport said:
We say the dongle needs to be plugged in to the back of the D10 ;)

Remoting the EMI reduction dongle will very quickly reduce the functionality of it. It needs to be very close to the EFIS to work. 2" might be ok- you'll just have to try it.

If you aren't using the EFIS as a parallel transponder encoder, only two wires need to be switched out at the end of the EDC cable to switch to a D10A.

Well my D10 is also my transponder encoder so that goes out the window. I have this sinking feeling I just lost functionality.

Dana, send your D10 in for the upgrade to D10A. The GPS HSI and winds aloft displays are really nice (but require the OAT probe and a tightly calibrated remote magnetometer). The D10A also has more robust RFI protection. I recently had the upgrade done on my old D10 and am really enjoying the new features and faster processor. You will need to add the gray code converter for your transponder or just revert back to a plain ol' encoder.

By the way, I reduced the EMI from my D10 to a very low level by powering the remote mag via a separate feed off the avionics bus. It seems the EFIS was transmitting the EMI out through the mag power wire.

I also tried the "remote dongle" idea since I too had interference problems. The idea didn't work in my case nearly as well as the separate power feed.

The only issues I have seen with the separate feed is the possibility of getting hung up during software updates since the mag won't reboot with the EFIS. But you can work around that by killing power to the mag during reboots following the update. It may be that the separate feed isn't necessary with the D10A but I haven't gotten around to rewiring the mag back into the EFIS.

Last edited:
I have a D-10, and did not install the external magnetometer. It took a couple of tries, and a few hours, but I was able to get the calibration inside of 5 deg. I'm not doing any IFR flying, and I cross check the GPS and compass when heading is important. If your D-10 is a backup, I would imagine you can get it pretty close. For what its worth....

Just because

BlackRV7 said:
Why is everything so darn painfully obvious:).
Because its and airplane and its Special. :rolleyes: :D If building and flying was easy everyone would do it. Be proud, be strong. :p Sounds like you have a solution.

Back