What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip reinforcement

Stan Bahrns

I am finish mounting my wing tips & am wondering if anyone has reinforced them as they are very flimsey & can be deformed with very little pressure even when attached to the wing. I would appreciate any info on the matter.

wingtip support

I saw a page (harmon rocket) that a guy used some very thin heavy duty foam to put a suport about mid way, I used that same trick and it worked wonders on the flex and stiffened them right up.. just cut it with the same curvature of the inside of the tip worked great so far but I am still building and working on the slider..
Danny..

Cardboard roll

I will be following the advise of one of our Lubbock Eaa Chapter 19 members, Rick Liles.

Rick takes an empty cardboard roll, like christmas wrapping paper comes on, and glasses it onto the inside of the wing tip. Very light and very strong.

Rick has built three RV-6A's and a RV-7A for himself. Also in his workshop is an 8 and a 9 belonging to other chapter members, both about 80% finished with the engines hung.

Our chapter has 105 member and we have 27 projects under construction, most of them RV's. Rick builds all of the engines and kindly lets the rest of drive him crazy with our questions. If Rick said to use it, we use it.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

I glued in some 3/16 cotton cord with resin. I just serpentined it around the upper side of the tip about in the middle. No big deal. Used about 6 ft of cord on each side. It seems to be fine. Flying for over a year.

The ribs or tubes are fine, too. Just be sure to get them spaced correctly or you may push or pull the tip out or in and it won't match the airfoil.

Roberta

Last edited:
godspeed said:
I saw a page (harmon rocket) that a guy used.....
It's a F1 Rocket, not a Harmon. Big difference. :)
Wings66.jpg
Wings67.jpg

Picked up the blue foam in the aviation products isle at Lowe's. I used proseal as the binding agent.

I'd be a little conerned about that foam cracking over time due to vibration and such. Maybe a little bit of glass over it would be a good idea.

Steve Zicree

Actually, that foam is pretty flexible and is covered by a clear sheet of polymer. I had planned to glass it in, but decided it wasn't worth the effort right now. Since my tips are removable, I'll inspect the foam at each condition inspection. Good tip though! :p (pun intended)

harmon , f1 rockets.. sorry

I am showing I know nothing about either, and I sure don't know the difference of the two, but I did use your idea with the dense foam and glassed it into the ends still has some flex and its a very awesome idea.. not too rigid and holds up very well , but then again, I am still on the ground.. but I have smashed a few things in my life so maybe I am qualified :) thanks for the idea.. btw.. it works..
didn't mean to affend you though..

can you explain the difference so I will know in the future when someone
ask :)
rv9a working on slider cut the plastic yesterday..

Danny..

Last edited:
You didn't offend me, it was my attempt at humor. Big difference?? NOT. They are pretty close to the same but pretty different in the details. :D

Back