What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uvalde, Texas

Uvalde - Favorite place of a Moonwalker

Howdy, Phil!

I just finished reading 'Rocket Man', a book about the late Apollo 12 commander Charles 'Pete' Conrad. His first wife was born and raised in Uvalde and her father (Winn Dubose) owned 1,600 acres in the area. The book says that it was Mr. Dubose who first called Charles 'Pete'.

The Dubose Ranch was, apparently, one of spots on the planet that the moonwalker enjoyed visiting more than any other.

His son, Peter Conrad, works for Sierra Industries there in Uvalde (I believe that's the link Larry mentioned above).

Just letting you know the Apollo tie to that city!

Best always,
Doug

PS: Pete Conrad was in orbit with Gordo Cooper in Gemini V on the day I was born. I'm fond of Gemini V. Book info if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketman-Astronaut-Conrads-Incredible-Beyond/dp/0451215095/sr=8-2/qid=1172445232/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-3036889-0491862?ie=UTF8&s=books

philcam said:
Looks like I'm moving to Uvalde, Texas. Any RV's in the area?

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys! I remember flying into UVA several years back and seeing Mark's "Screaming Eagle" RV-4. SWEET looking plane. His old hanger is now the Border Patrol Hanger, I think?

More good news, the local FBO has spam can 172's for rent cheap should I get the urge to fly while building. $85-$95 wet. $95 is for the SP's.

Back