What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cheapest gauges just to get flying

what should i put in my 8a

• XPIO-360

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • XPIO-400

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

burgundyja

Well Known Member
I am building a rv-8a and like most of us i don't have unlimited funds. I am going to put a good chunck of my budget in a new xpio-360 so i would like to know what is the min. gauges that i will need to go flying. then later i will upgrade to a efis. could i use just a garmin 396? it has alltuide, ground speed, turn coudintor, dg, vs. it will be vfr day only at first. sorry about the spelling

burgundyja said:
I am building a rv-8a and like most of us i don't have unlimited funds. I am going to put a good chunck of my budget in a new xpio-360 so i would like to know what is the min. gauges that i will need to go flying. then later i will upgrade to a efis. could i use just a garmin 396? it has alltuide, ground speed, turn coudintor, dg, vs. it will be vfr day only at first. sorry about the spelling
I did what you're talking about. Minimal panel; maybe with some home-brew instrumentation. This approach got me flying safely. Each year or two I'll buy something new for the panel. I'm currently on my third panel.

As for cheap gauges, there are lots of possibilities. One primary thing to consider is the reliability and functionality. meaning, you buy a Chief auto parts oil pressure gauge, have a low pressure switch on a light bulb annunciator as a backup, etc.

Van sells some very reasonably priced gauges that are pretty reliable. Have seen several for sale used on this list. Keep your eyes open.

Mag compass - who says it has to be a $150 aircraft whiskey compass? There are lots of mag compasses out there for non-aviation uses that would be "legal" in an experimental. Same goes for altimeters and slip-skid ball.

As for the 396 for flight info? I don't believe it will offer anything in the area of basic VFR instrumentation. But for a lot less money, the 196 will offer a very nice moving map and other positional/airport data. Put it right there in your panel.

If there's any way to get an artificial horizon, I really recommend you get one. How about a cheap, used vacuum system from someone upgrading to an EFIS?? RV's don't do well in low vis and no horizon reference!

Another source of low-cost equipment would be a fly-in. Oshkosh? Sun-n-Fun? There are always the salvage operators selling all kinds of crazy things for very little $$ in many cases! I found a really old (must be 60+ yrs) 3" mag compass at one a year or so ago for something like $15. Got it on my shelf in the office. gotta look but there are deals out there.

Last edited:
I too am building my airplane with the hopes of not bankrupting my future children. I first looked at the Van's instruments which are a fantastic deal. From my research it seems that the most problems people have with those instruments (manufactured by ISSPro, bTW) is that tach and the fuel gauges. The tach is usually a little off and the fuel gauges have a tendency to fry.

Another good option to look at is the RMI micromonitor. Unfortunately it doesn't do fuel levels so you'll need add a fuel gauge to it. If you build the RMI (it's available in kit form last time I checked) you can get it for roughly the cost of steam gauges.

In the end I decided to splurge on a Dynon EFIS and EMS. I have less than 7K in my ENTIRE panel.

Last edited:
Buy used from a builder or project parted out

burgundyja said:
I love these questions, since bargain hunting is fun. Not going to say what TO buy but you need to get it used from. How? That is the trick. eBay may be. Another builder tearing out the old panel for glass? If you buy new you might as well bite the bullet and get an engine monitor that does all the bells and whistles. That gets you all the needed engine inst and fuel level. You can save cost by not going with all 8 channels of EGT/CHT (4 cylinders). You may want EGT/CHT on the hot cylinder (#3 or #4 depending on who you talk to and what phase of flight , cruise, climb)

After that flt instruments would be DAY VFR min, airspeed, altimeter.

struggling

i am struggling with this myself and have not yet figured it out. but i really dont see a way cheaper than two dynons. i would buy used but i cant seem to find it local. i dont want used stuff from people i have no recourse with. i dont mind upgrading but i want to add on not re-do. i have to admit the 196 seeeeems to do and awful lot for strictly vfr. have one and love it but i feel i need more than that. panel page seems to work really well. vsi, gsi, alt, bank indicator (sort of). does the 396 not have the panel page?

Last edited:
Day VFR instruments

My CFI (Thanks, Kevin) taught me GOOSE A CAT

G=Gas-fuel gauge for each tank
O=Oil temp gauge
O=Oil Pressure gauge
S=Seat belts
E=ELT

A=Altimeter

C=Compass
A=Airspeed indicator
T=Tachometer

That will keep you legal. Safe? Depends on your flying :D
Have fun.
Ward

Add a cheap GPS and you are set.
Thats my plans but I will have a few extras.
I will use the prepunched panel and fill as I need.

matt said:
You need almost nothing from a legal point of view:
http://www.periheliondesign.com/downloads/MINIMUM%20INSTRUMENT%20AND%20EQUIPMENT%20REQUIREMENTS.pdf

A gps only gives you groundspeed etc and can not really be used instead of instruments.
So air speed indicator and a altimeter is maybe the minimum practical level? Personally I would ad a compass as well.
Great list but 91.413 is also required if you have a transponder.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgFAR.nsf/0/35329CD67B08E3FD86256DC0005217C8?OpenDocument

Note what 91.205 says about required VFR insturments only applies to STANDARD CATAGORY airplanes.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgFAR.nsf/0/F03940D26321E1DF86256F7F0061FFAB?OpenDocument

Sec. 91.205

"Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements."

As stated elsewhere, FAA Order 8130.2 (latest version is F change 2) operating limitations will make 91.205 apply for NIGHT and IFR flight.

RMI MicroMonitor

Jamie said:

Another good option to look at the RMI micromonitor. Unfortunately it doesn't do fuel levels so you'll need add a fuel gauge to it. If you build the RMI (it's available in kit form last time I checked) you can get it for roughly the cost of steam gauges.

I've got one of these in my closet cleaning process..... :)
Hasn't hit the VAF Classifieds yet...

Assembled and bench checked, but not installed ... old version with the degrees C. units.
Assembled by a professional electronics engineer (me)...

Any offers?

gil in Tucson

Back