What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Bend Ranch Fly In

Immense gratitude to Ironflight and Flash

Most of us headed back this afternoon and more reports will undoubtedly flow soon. Without question, the most enjoyable fly-in I've attended. The two people that I owe my greatest appreciation are, of course, Paul Dye, who motivated and scouted the trip, and Doug Reeves (Flash), who wimped on the trip and opened up a slot in the jeep tour of the Big Bend NP that I grabbed. Many thanks, Doug! Another example of how you continue to serve the RV community. Six RVs and one each of C-180, Cardinal, and Ultralight. Fabulous weather. Great food. Wonderful camping/bunking. And, a staff that seemed desperate to please and see more visitors.

Van's Cavalry rode this morning. Look for a photo of Ironflight on chestnut horse next to the Valkyrie. More photos and stories, no doubt, to come.

Last edited:
How was it??? Lets see--beautiful blue sky, incredible scenary, a Park Service staff meeting every need, too much great food, bonfire discussions under a star cover so bright you could touch the milky way, great hiking trails, and really nice people---what else could you ask for--it was a very enjoyable weekend!!!

Dave and Janie B.
RV9a/ECi0360/James Cowl/Catto prop--110 hrs and a permanent smile!!!!!!!

BB

I knew I shouldn't have asked!!!!!! Being retarded---errr---RETIRED, my discretionary funds didn't allow for the $700-$750 it would have cost. I live 1078 NM away 2156 NM round trip. Would have been over $500 just for fuel. Then add food, shelter and The Calvary Charge (Horseback Ride). I was sorely tempted to bust the budget though!!!!!

Maybe we can do another one this fall when the furnace cools down in the Big Bend Country.

Last edited:
Louise Hose said:
snip....Doug Reeves (Flash), who wimped on the trip and opened up a slot in the jeep tour of the Big Bend NP that I grabbed. Many thanks, Doug! ...snip
My pleasure, Louise! :)

Friday while gearing up to go see the CPA I went for a short flight. Saturday morning I had oil under the plane - I had blown my crankshaft front seal out. It was laying on the alternator. Turns out I picked the right weekend to not fly solo over a big portion of remote Texas :eek: . While the plane is down I got the cowl to Grady's for paint (yeah!).

Super happy you all had fun and I can't wait to do it myself. Sounds like you had a home run trip.

Best always,
Doug

I wound up not going because of wind, either at the planned fuel stops (Friday) and here in Dallas (Sat) - above my personal limits. Bummed out, but I did have a good day of flying today, and passed 100 hours in the logbook.

Looking forward to everyone's photos!

Last edited:
Outstanding!

My test of a good time - I can't figure out how we fit a bunch of great experiences into such a short time! It was great to meet a bunch of new folks, and as has already been alluded to - the Big Bend Ranch has got to be one of the best kept secrets in the State. Let's see, my bill for two night's lodging, food, and the Cavalry Charge :)D ) came to $150. I flew a total of 6.5 hours, but hey, I'd have done that in a weekend anyway....

(I guess to be fair, I should add in the price of a cell phone, mine is laying out there in the desert somewhere....)

The scenery was spectacular, the air clean and dry - yup, the stars were better than I have seen in years. The staff was so laid back - it was more like being a guest in someone's private park, and they wanted us all to enjoy what they enjoy every day.

It was great to actually feel like I was on vacation for a change - and boy are my muscles going to remind me about it all in the morning.....I'll write more when I can string a few intelligible sentences together.

Excellent pictures Gary - glad you trekked on out in the "tank" - hey, it wasn't the slowest aircraft on the ramp!

Ironhorse

TODR - you made a difficult, but very good choice! When I landed for fuel in Alpine, the wind was straight down RWY 23, but gusting to over 35 knots. I touched down and rolled two plane lengths - then had to dodge tumbleweeds coming at me! Not a good place for the jellybean.

Last edited:
Paul: What was the wind at BBRSP when you landed and when you took off? What was the condition of the field? Thinking of flying 2 RV's from El Paso. Sounds like a really nice place to visit.

rodeomanny said:
Paul: What was the wind at BBRSP when you landed and when you took off? What was the condition of the field? Thinking of flying 2 RV's from El Paso. Sounds like a really nice place to visit.

The winds at BBRSP were nothing out of the ordinary - as a matter of fact, I was surprised how light they were after the big winds at Alpine, just 60 miles north. The runway is in GREAT shape - not loose gravel, no patches.

Tom Navar joined us from El Paso this weekend in his 180 - it would be an easy trip for you from there.

Paul

Iron, sounds like an awesome trip from early reports and pics!

Just curious, did everyone stay in the bunkhouse, or were there some tent campers, and if so, was transportation an issue for them. I believe you mentioned the tent area is kind of remote?

I just called your cell phone, some guy said "Hola, que pasa Amigo?"

Ross,

Mike, Garrie, Dale, Tom, Paul, Dave, Janie, and Larry stayed in the bunkhouse. Louise camped between the bunkhouse and the bonfire area and had access to the facilities in the bunkhouse. John and Diana (volunteers from the Great Lakes area who winter here) manage the ranch area and are extremely accomodating and really nice folks who want you to enjoy the park. The bunkhouse is very comfortable and both Janie and I slept soundly in the cool quite night environment. I should also mention that Victor, who cooked most of our meals, always has a smile on his face and is one great cook--Saturday night we had some brisket with all the fixin's that was delicious followed by two kinds of cake--german chocolate and banana.

I should also mention that Chase from Presidio, who came out in his ultra-light to visit the RVers, was a wealth of info about the area and a really nice guy. You meet such good people around RVs.

My total bill for two people lodging 3days/2nights and all meals to include a couple of hours mountain bike rental was $206. I do not know where you could match this kind value!!!

BTW, we flew back to the San Antonio area at 9500' with no winds. I was sitting on the ramp in Bulverde (1T8) in 1hr and 53 min. These machines are incredible!!!

Cheers,

Dave and Janie
RV9a/ECi0360/James Cowl/Catto prop--110 hrs and a permanent smile!!!

Hey Scorch, we really did miss ya' - this would have been one you 'd have enjoyed!

As Dave said, they let Louise camp right next to the bunkhouse, and that worked out really well - it would have been hard for one or two folks to camp out nearer the runway - they'd have been isolated. I road the mountain bike back and forth between the compound and the runway several times, and it was fun - but plenty of exercise.

Saw Doug's video - looks like y'all managed to have a little fun at 52F as well...but I still think we had more - at least judging by my pain index this morning....

Paul

Vignettes

Well, I started trying to write up a full report of the weekend fun, but so much happened that a narrative would be much longer than anyone would want to read...and longer than I had to write. So I'll instead offer just a couple of small moments that stand out in my mind...

While riding across the high desert terrain of the Texas Big Bend, I had an interesting thought about the ?vehicle? on which I was moving ? this thing was an outstanding example of intelligent automation! Thinking about my RV-8, I can engage the autopilot and with a twist of a knob it will fly whatever heading I desire, or with the punch of another button, it will follow a complex set of course segments joining waypoints into a flight plan. And while it is doing this, I don?t have to think a thing about HOW it does it ? what controls are moved by how much. In a similar fashion, look at the ultimate in rugged-terrain ground transportation ? the horse! With a nudge here or a slight tug there, I tell it that ?I want to go down into that canyon?. I can then devote my attention to looking at the magnificent sites as this wonderful animal takes care of the mechanics of getting me there ? I don?t have to think about foot placement, or balance, or speed adjustment. It just happens! Magnificent! As magnificent as the vistas of the Big Bend area, where you can see distant mountains and far horizons that would take days to reach by anything but a magic carpet in the air?

"The Stars at Night, are Big and Bright...." y'all know the rest of the words! We had campfires both of the nights that I was there, and while standing around the fire, everyone would occasionally turn their backs to the fire, let their eyes adjust to the darkness and marvel at the incredible stellar canopy you can only get far away from city lights. There was no moon, and the stars were so vivid that they appeared to me to be three dimensional. Worth the trip all by itself! Of course, it's hard to beat just sitting around a great fire telling flying stories and listening to caving ballads....maybe you had to be there!

On Saturday, four of us flew over to Terlingua and picked up a jeep that had been left for us at the gravel strip. (The strip is in much better condition than I expected, and we were greeted by an impromptu aerobatics demonstration by a local Yak 50.) I rode over with Louise Hose because it looked to me like her wheel pants were better suited to gravel than those on the Val. Mike, Dale, Louise and I drove up to the Chisos Basin in the National park, and took a 3 mile hike to look out "The Window". The basin is like a high volcanic crater, and the window is a hole in the wall that looks out to the west - for miles, and miles and miles....This hike was good for me - especially after the great food we were served at the Bunkhouse (more on that later....). Following the couple-hour hike to the Window and back, we loaded up in the Jeep and drove off across the park, stopping here and there for great vistas, and ending up at Santa Elena Canyon. AS you drive across the desert,l you see this huge wall of rock - with a big, sharp notch out of the middle. This is where the Rio Grande flows out - with canyon walls 1400' high. As we were driving, we we guessing how high, and how close you might get if you were flying before it would be time to pull up to avoid the face!

It seemed like something was always going on at the airstrip. If I count right, we had a total of nine different aircraft there over the weekend - but someone was always going up for some local flying. Chase Snodgrass was our local pilot contact, and he flew over in his ultralight/light sport jungle gym contraption all three days (You gotta get back to work on that RV Chase!). The flying was great, with visibility at sixty or seventy miles or better. On my way out Sunday, I flew out over the area where we went on the horses, and could see the landmarks and sites of interest where we had stopped. I frequently fly over desolate areas, and think of them that way....but when you get down close and look at the details, there are countless spots of beauty that most people will never see. Clear little pools of water in shaded places in the desert. Old homesteads where families lived for generations, growing corn and beans where now there is nothing but sage. A small shelter formed by two natural boulders, with a man-made hole carved in the rock where meal was ground by hand - and pictographs remain to tell the story - if we could only read them. Having seen them from the ground reminded me (as I was passing over at speeds unimaginable by previous generations) of what is really down there.

One of the nicest things for me was simply to get away to clean air and good companionship - along with the opportunity to get some much-needed exercise. The park has mountain bikes that rent for $2 the first hour, and $1 each hour after that - but I don't know that anyone actually kept track. I don't think they added my use to my bill at the end of the weekend. That in itself is fresh to most of us. When I arrived, I asked what I had to do to check in. "Well, we see that you';re here - just enjoy yourself, and when you leave, tell us what you think you owe..." Try THAT at your average resort! I really enjoyed the laid-back nature of the whole weekend, and thank everyone that came along to be a part of it. The pictures show it all - the airplanes, the scenery, and mostly, the smiles. I hope to get back there again soon - and know that I'll keep it high on my list of retreat hideaways.

I hope the folks that spent an extra night made it back home safe today - can't wait to see more pictures!

Paul

Last edited:
Great Video!

Hey Chase, that was great! It answered a nagging question I had on the way home about whether or not Tony got his RV ride....I can see that he got up with Larry, so I assume another tail kit will be headed out the door soon at Van's....

Thanks again fro coming out so many times over the weekend - hope you get back to work on your own RV soon!

For anyone planning a quick get-away on their own to BBRSP, try hooking up with Chase - I get the feeling he likes to have a chance to have some pilot company!

Paul

Very cool Chase and you were unobtrusive. Really didn't notice when you had the camcorder running.

Incredible Video

Chase,

You are one talented guy. Watching that video is almost a religious experience!! The music selection was perfect.

Thank you for all your help and for the wealth of info on the incredible area we call Big Bend!!

Now---get that RV7 finished!!!!

Cheers,

db

Ditto

Wonderful video, Chase. I regret that your and my schedule rarely coincided, but maybe next time. It was great to see your work today.

Larry Wins!

Great Write-up Larry!!

You are the official VAF Cavalry Scribe..... :D

(And you're probably right about the Zodiacal Glow....)

Paul

April?

Geat video/trip guys...

But I notice it was still heavy jacket weather.... :)

Perhaps an April trip is doable for those who missed this one...

gil in Tucson

Gil,

Diana and John said that they were having unusually cold weather while we were there---the low was 19 degrees f the morning of Janie and my arrival (Fri). The low the next two nights was around 30 f and had it not been for some wind the days would have only required a light jacket.

I suspect that the weather will still be very pleasant in March or even early April but you could contact Chase (Chase are you listening?) for more info from a "resident". I know he would love to see more fly ins to this beautiful/remote part of Texas.

Hey, let us know if you intend to go---we enjoyed it so much we might like to join you!!

Cheers,

db

Larry,

Janie and I really enjoyed your write up and pics!!! Between your write up and Pauls as well a Chase's video I would bet that John/Diana and Victor will be very busy.

Great Job!!

db

Spring Flowers

db1yg said:
March or even early April but you could contact Chase (Chase are you listening?) for more info from a "resident". I know he would love to see more fly ins to this beautiful/remote part of Texas.db

This year we are experiencing an unusual phenomenon: bluebonnets and millions of wildflowers! Above average rainfall in December and January usually means Spring flowers in the Big Bend, so we're all set. However, I recommend flexibility regarding setting a date. March brings strong winds to west Texas. Check the forecast on Friday and if NOAA says "Windy" then postpone your trip for a different weekend. The lower lands near the border (i.e. the pretty stuff!) are not as susceptible to the strong winds, but the high lonesome (Marfa) can experience gusts to 70+. There is generally no mid-range wind in the Spring; it's either terribly windy or it's calm. April will be very nice most days, but still check before you take off.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX
http://flybigbend.com

Last edited:
westexflyboy said:
However, I recommend flexibility regarding setting a date. March brings strong winds to west Texas. Check the forecast on Friday and if NOAA says "Windy" then postpone your trip for a different weekend. The lower lands near the border (i.e. the pretty stuff!) are not as susceptible to the strong winds, but the high lonesome (Marfa) can experience gusts to 70+. There is generally no mid-range wind in the Spring; it's either terribly windy or it's calm. April will be very nice most days, but still check before you take off.
Chase -

Thanks for the info. I was planning on heading over with family in March, but will have a "plan B" for the weekend in case the winds are high.

I spoke with Louise tonight and realized something. The Big Bend Ranch State Park Fly-in was pretty small. I come up with 10 attendees but am probably missing someone. Of those 10, 5 have posted pictures accounts and/or videos of the event. 50% shared; wonder what that means?

n5lp said:
Of those 10, 5 have posted pictures accounts and/or videos of the event. 50% shared; wonder what that means?

It means you missed one! :p

I count pictures/accounts/posts from Larry, Louise, Garrie, Chase, Dave, and Paul...that's six, right?

For the usual "fly-in", we usually get one or two reports out of many attendees...I think that means we all had a pretty great time! :D

Ironflight said:
It means you missed one! :p

I count pictures/accounts/posts from Larry, Louise, Garrie, Chase, Dave, and Paul...that's six, right?

More than half huh? Boy that's going to be hard to live up to!

While at BBRSP, Diana told me there was an article about the area in the February 2007 issue of "National Geographic." During the noon hour today I went to the library and read it.

"From the air, the region is distinguished by huge cracks, crags, wrinkles, and crevices, apparently devoid of life."

Typical of NG, the text doesn't go into much depth but there are some nice photos. Their photo of El Solitario is almost identical to the ones several of us took.

The article is available online at

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0702/feature2/index.html

Be sure to click the "Photo Gallery" tab, to see the pictures.

That's a very mood-inspiring article - and some beautiful photos. Makes me want to go right back!

I have a friend looking for the San Carlos railway tunnel South of Valentine. It is supposed to be located just West of the San Carlos Mines and SW of Gettysburg Peak in Bracks Canyon.

We would like to fly down and look it over. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of it. There is supposed to be a landing strip about 5K to the south. I would imagine it is in pretty bad shape and probably not usable.

The closest we have been able to pin it down is found @: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=30.47446&lon=-104.74454&s=100&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

I would hope the local expert might know about it. How about it Chase? Any thoughts? It is supposed to be one of six railroad tunnels that was built by Chinese laborers. I don't even know if you can get there by car, but we might be able to fly over and take a look.

Thanks for any help.
Wes Hays
Winters, TX
RV-6A 740+ hrs
RV-7A Fuselage

Wes Hays said:
I have a friend looking for the San Carlos railway tunnel South of Valentine. It is supposed to be located just West of the San Carlos Mines and SW of Gettysburg Peak in Bracks Canyon.

We would like to fly down and look it over...
Shoot Wes, I could fly down and look for that but wouldn't it take the fun out of it for you guys?

Well that gave me some entertainment Wes!

I just looked over that area using Google Earth - you can see the landing strip called out on the topo....doesn't look to good, but then you never know when the image was taken. Interesting looking area - I found it by searching for Valentine, then going south till the terrain matched the topo.

Great tool Google Earth....excellent for pre-scouting an area before burning a lot of Avgas. I was even able to use it after the fly-in weekend to trace out the VAF cavalry ride!

Paul

Same thing.

I did the same thing as Paul, fired up Google Earth. I also noticed the landing strip to the south - but also looked in other directions. There does look like a real strip to the north, complete with a hangar.

30?33'1.72"N
104?46'13.59"W

Going in there with a folding bike for a ride on the abandoned grade sounds like a cool adventure.

GoogleEarth Rocks.

Looking at the area in Google Earth, It appears that there is a tunnel Just SSW of Gettysburg Peak, If you follow the rail road grade south out of Bracks Canyon it will turn back to the east and go through some hills. Take a look at it in the 3d terrain feature. there is also what appears to be a landing strip further south near Newman springs. It shows as a landing strip on the Topo.

We must have all been flying the area in google earth at the same time, Might have to get anti-collision for google now...

Sectionals

I also matched that area up with the sectionals. This area is on the El Paso sectional. Neither one of these landing strips is listed, but the abandonded railroad grade is indeed marked. There is a marked strip just over the border in Ejido Pilares.

Tunnels

Wes Hays said:
I would hope the local expert might know about it. How about it Chase? Any thoughts? It is supposed to be one of six railroad tunnels that was built by Chinese laborers.

Hi Wes,

This one is gonna require a little research. I have seen a tunnel on Chispa road, which is west of Valentine, but I have some doubts about it ever being a rail route. Not sure about the origin of the Chispa road tunnel. But, I'll talk to some locals that will know, and see if I can give a better answer tomorrow. The present day railroad goes through Valentine; I was under the impression that had always been the route. Maybe not...

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, Texas

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks Guys!! As usual, I am always amazed at the vast knowledge and resources of the folks on this forum.

I really appreciate all the help. If you find something that pins it down please let me know.

I'll get on Google Earth and see what it looks like.

We plan to go down and check it out, but I am not sure when. If you beat me to it Larry, let me know what you find out.

Thanks also Chase for any additional info you may have.

If you want to e-mail me direct so it won't take up space on the VAF site just sent it to

[email protected]

Thanks again.
Wes

n5lp said:
...Their photo of El Solitario is almost identical to the ones several of us took...
I made this statement from memory of the photos. I was wrong.

I went back and found a photo of mine that was basically identical from the standpoint of where it was taken, photo length and direction, but the "National Geographic" photo is far superior. They waited for the right lighting (low sun angle) and I took mine when I happened to be aloft.

Big difference.

Photography is not that easy!

Coal Mine Ranch

The approximate location for the tunnel is N30 27 45 W104 44 18.1

There is a ranch in that area known as the Coal Mine Ranch. There either was not enough coal to make it work or it was a scam to begin with and there never was any coal. Hoax or not, investors built rails and tunnels to get the coal out. My understanding is that they may have built a spur from the main track to move coal from the mines, and that would be the railroad beds still visible.

As far as Chinese workers, there appears to be some truth to that. South of Marfa are the "coolie caves" supposedly named for the Chinese coolie hats worn by rail workers.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, Texas

Last edited:
Tunnel and Capote Falls

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=30.4625&lon=-104.73836&datum=nad83&u=6&layer=DRG&size=s&s=50

The link above is the tunnel

Along the ridge to the east is Capote Falls - the highest falls in Texas.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=30.21217&lon=-104.56068&datum=nad83&u=6&layer=DRG&size=s&s=100

You can only see this feature by aircraft because it's on private land. I've been there a few times - hard to believe a spring could run in this particular location - freaky. I was trying to capture Capote falls on video three weeks ago, but failed. Will try again, and perhaps see if I can get the tunnel as well. I landed on the gravel strip southwest of Capote - that strip was in good shape.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, Texas

Last edited:
westexflyboy said:
Ok, now the falls are added to the tunnel. Sounds like a fun project this weekend. Try to get decent pictures.

http://spiderjohnson.com/Gallery/capotefalls.html

This is apparently a VERY inaccessible place.

Last edited:
Wes, Paul, Garrie, Ron and Chase have gotten me interested in this. For those without Google Earth, this should be the area of the railroad tunnel.

Tunnel.jpg

The highest waterfall in Texas is Capote Falls. Geology information I found indicates that the spring feeding this creek is a hot spring.

Capote.jpg

On the internet, I found the account of an author who tried to get permission, from the landowner, to hike to Capote Falls. The answer was a firm and polite no. Note the age of the photo I linked to above. Airplanes give a tremendous freedom!

I am planning to take photos, on the same flight, of the highest waterfall in Texas and the highest mountain in Texas and I'm not even much of a fan of Texas.

And Chase, if you are down there this weekend also, I will probably be above you using a telephoto lense.

Last edited:
The very idea that the highest waterfall in Texas is near the, relatively featureless, Valentine, Texas is very surprising but it gets more and more fun from there.

Wes Hayes forwarded this e-mail tonight.

"I am sending you a couple of photos that I made in the late 60's of Capote Falls. A beautiful box canyon that was looked at to become a state park but the idea was dropped - probably politics. Beverly King of Graham was on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Board at that time and he and I went down one of the times that I went to Capote Falls.

Going into the box canyon from the river road from Candeleria you cross Capote Creek, John Baker, Gene Corder (who eventually became a border patrolman from Marfa) and I spent the night at a cottonwood tree near the entrance to the canyon. We awoke in the night hearing people coming thru from Mexico into the US heading north.

There is another interesting place to visit. I think it is the Williams Ranch southwest of Valentine in the Sierra Vieja's. It is a camp that was built in the mountains to guard against Pancho Villa. I think the mililtary came in and built buildings in the 40's as a training area. We were there in the 70's and newspapers were in some of the buildings with 40's dates on them.

Beverly King's granddaughter married recently the grandson of the owner of the ranch at the top of Capote Falls.

It is a small World Wes.

Ted"

I don't have Ted's last name. Here are the photos.

image0016.jpg

image0017.jpg

Back