What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Rapids EFIS

nucleus

Well Known Member
Hi, I ordered a 3 screen Grand Rapids EFIS system for my RV6A and I was wondering if anyone had any installation/setup tips for me.

Hans

They work great. I love mine. However I would probably add an aux battery so that at least one could be on during engine start. If you search or look on the Yahoo! Groups site there's tips on how to do that.

Good luck.

Ditto on the Yahoo Group - there are getting to be a lot of units in service, and lots of great information being spread among the users.

I've got 380+ hours of flying behind mine, and couldn't be happier with the choice. My advice is to use the redundancy afforded by the triple power feeds for each box - you'll have a pretty bomb-proof electric airplane that way.

Paul

Another way to wire is to wire each unit to it's own electical bus. There
are many many ways to wire the DUs. First determine what your wiring
scheme will be. Look at http://www.aeroelectric.com and see what fits your
mission, then wire accordingly.

walter said:
Another way to wire is to wire each unit to it's own electical bus.

Walter is right - that is what I meant, but didn't say it well. Since each of the GRT boxes can accept three power feeds, wire each to a differnt bus/source, and you won't have to worry about getting power to your EFIS!

Paul

Paul, I disagree, I am not right. :)

It's just another way of wiring. If someone has a single bus and perhaps
a small battery backup then your way may be better. So, you are right too!

It really does depend upon your selection of wiring design, which should match
your mission. If you are strictly VFR you may elect to wire a very simple single
bus design. If you want to fly IFR and you NEED redundancy then other options
may be necessary in your design.

I wired each of my DU's to a single power bus. Each only uses one power
supply, the other two wires are snipped short and are unused. If you study
the Z-13 diagram you'll understand why I did this. I wired it for my mission.
Each of my DU's has it's own switch as well for load shedding. Lot's of stuff
to consider...

Paul's recommendation is equally applicable, depending upon your mission.

Three is best.

Hans,
I wish I had installed three screens instead of two.

I have a -7 so you will probably have the same physical constraints on your -6.

You will need to modify the sub-panel (assuming the -6 is like the -7 here) that supports the Instrument panel where you will need to put the outer screens. See pic of how I did it.
Tha pic also shows the palcement of my Avionics Battery which runs an Avionics Bus during start up and incase of main system failure. This is not an IFR system. Just a bit of redundancy for Day VFR.
Pete.
avionicsbatteryxi4.jpg

efiscutoutkk1.jpg

Hey Pete... thanks for posting that pic. I was always looking for a place to put an aux battery! Now I'll have to see if I can incorporate it into my existing space.

Wish I had 3 screens, too!

What battery to use?

Any suggestions for what battery (brand/model) to use for the Aux Bat?

Hey Pete... i like your center piece where some switches and throttle quadrant are mounted. Can you tell us more about it? Any more pictures of it? It looks nice and simple.

Jae

Sealed Lead/Acid

Rick_A said:
Any suggestions for what battery (brand/model) to use for the Aux Bat?
Rick - I use a sealed lead/acid battery that is intended for use in home alarm systems. I have an electronic parts store that stocks them (mine is 4.5 aH), and I just replaced my first one after a year and a few months becasue it was losing useful time. Costs about $9 if I recall.

Paul

jchang10 said:
Hey Pete... i like your center piece where some switches and throttle quadrant are mounted. Can you tell us more about it? Any more pictures of it? It looks nice and simple.

Jae

There was a write up on it last fall-------see page 15 or the -7 "show us your panel" sticky.

Mike

Last edited:
Back