What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T2000 xponder s/w update?

nauga

Well Known Member
I'm redoing some of the panel in my RV-4 and just found out about all the Microair T2000 'issues' (mine worked OK when the -4 was flying, AFAIK - never had any complaints - never received any service bulletins either). Any comments on the software update process? Is anyone still using a T2000 with any success? Where'd you have the update(s) done?

I'm now in a 'interrogation intensive' environment :rolleyes: and need the update - my other option is to replace the transponder altogether, but I like the 'form factor' (and the fact that I already *have* one). Comments?

Nauga,
and his strangled parrot

Hey Nauga (I hope your last name isn't Hyde ;-)

It is more than a software update. The issue is that the xpndr becomes completely overloaded in any airspace where there is a Mode S radar. It wil work for a while, but the internal queues get full, and the xpndr stops replying to Mode C interrogations.

I had it happen for the first time flying through Montreal, then Boston. Center airspace. They were gracious enough to ask me to continually reset my xpndr every 5-10 minutes so I could get home. Toronto Center, however, just booted me out ;-)

You need to send your unit away for a chipset and filter upgrade. Mine was done under warranty, although my warranty expired years ago. I sent mine to Erie Aviation in Erie, Pennsylvania. They are on the web, so either email or call them. Really great (and quick) service. My T2000 seems to work just great, now. No issues since the upgrade.

Cheers

rv8bldr said:
Hey Nauga (I hope your last name isn't Hyde ;-)
Anyone who has a callsign that's a play on their real name also has at least one other one (less complimentary) that they're not telling you. My last name is Hyde :rolleyes:

rv8bldr said:
You need to send your unit away for a chipset and filter upgrade. Mine was done under warranty, although my warranty expired years ago. I sent mine to Erie Aviation in Erie, Pennsylvania. They are on the web, so either email or call them. Really great (and quick) service. My T2000 seems to work just great, now. No issues since the upgrade.
Thanks, I'll give them a call!

Nauga,
who has heard worse

Well, I've gotten two quotes from two companies - both say ~$400 to repair a transponder that was faulty upon delivery. Might have been able to get it fixed while it was under warranty if Microair had sent me a service bulletin. :mad:

Nauga,
considering Garmin or Becker

Last edited:
nauga said:
Well, I've gotten two quotes from two companies - both say ~$400 to repair a transponder that was faulty upon delivery. Might have been able to get it fixed while it was under warranty if Microair had sent me a service bulletin. :mad:

I agree. I was flying a Microair TL2000 at night and it decided to "Overloaded Interigations" or something like that. I was a low time pilot and it scared the heck out of me to be in a controlled airspace and loose the transponder. Actually, I wasn't even a pilot yet I was flying UL's, but that's another story. I sent it back to Microair and they fixed it free, worked good after that, then I sold the plane.

Microair is rumored to be in financial trouble. Not uncommon for a newish company supported by government grants. They make a good product, but the AU government is no longer subsidizing their production so they are on their own. It has been a learning experience for them, and they may survive. If they do go under someone will buy the rights (certification) to their transponder and keep building them, without the debt Microair has right now. The certification for a transponder is crazy expensive.

If you have a TL2000 I would just have it updated and fly it, if you don't I would look at another brand.

JMHO

Last edited:
nauga said:

Nauga,
considering Garmin or Becker
Try actually calling Microair, or send them an email. They were always good talking to me. Of course, there is a huge time difference so make sure it is actually daytime there when you call (don't ask why I know this;) )

Back