What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gemini EFIS control

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I was reading the Gemini manuals and they mention interface with an EFIS.
I'm building an IFR platform and was looking to have the Gemini as independent from the rest of the panel but if an EFIS can control for most things that's a bonus (instead of using the joystick).

I see AFS has some sort of link to Trutrak but the Gemini manual doesn't actually list what EFIS can "control" it.

Does anyone have experience with the Gemini as configured to be driven from the EFIS. Do the various EFIS on the market actually pickup the Trutrak on ARINC ? This will help the decision as to what panels make sense.

Thanks for any guidance.

This is actually quite common, as it adds extra stuff to the autopilot. I have a GRT HX EFIS and a Trio Pro autopilot, but other combos are possible and similar. Depending on the autopilot (many of which are really just set up for GPS nav) adding EFIS control will give you heading, VOR, ils tracking as well as GPS. Make sure you add an external switch to the control lines so you can go to stand-alone operation if the EFIS fails.

480 driven

It's a good point that I had not considered. An external switch would be required. The intent here was to establish the Gemini could in fact be directed by the EFIS for ease of use, but in a failure I'd want to switch to the 480 directly.

thx

RV-9A aft bracket

Both the AFS 5000 series and the Garmin G3X will provide total control of the Gemini through the EFIS.

Hi Lucas,

A side question. I looked at your 679 bracket diagram for the aft section servo and it looks wrong. Do you have a correct drawing or image of the correct installation because your install manual doesn't address the servo's.

I believe you make the brackets yourself. Is there any way to get just the bracket in advance of buying the whole Gemini or is this something I should fabricate?

Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Feel free to shoot me an email. [email protected] The 679 diagram was drawn quite some time ago and I understand later, quickbuild fuselages have changed. However, the same method applies. If your worry is the Z shaped longeron versus the C shaped of now, it's not an issue. I wouldn't actually rivet the bracket to the bottom anyway.

Back