What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vegas Prop Balance

MartinPred

Well Known Member
Ever since I had the Sensenich Wood on my RV-4 (O-360) refinished and re-installed, I've noticed a slight pulsation/oscillation in the 1100-1800 RPM range. 1400 RPM is the worst, when you're in the descent in the pattern.

Like Sensenich says, I checked the torque after the first flight. After a bit of tightening the pulsation improved but didn't dissappear. I'm guessing it needs a good balancing. Is there anyone in Vegas or nearby who can do it?

Thanks,

-Martin
402BD

vegas prop balance

Martin,

I have a wood prop on my -6 also and I had this very same problem when coming into the pattern. After years of Experimenting I have found the solution.
1. Reindex your prop so it is horizontal when #1 is on TDC
2. Check the track @ the tip. Should be within 1/16" adjust with paper shims
3. Have someone dynamic balance below .1 IPS inches per second

I bought my own prop balancer and tried every combination to figure this out. I hope that this helps you. I am sure that you will not believe the results.
Good luck
Jon
RV-6 Flying 200hrs
RV-10 building

Martin, call John Bacon over at Boulder City. Sorry, I don't have his phone number anymore. Might get it from Dula @ 702-493-3361

Boulder City

treeez said:
Martin, call John Bacon over at Boulder City. Sorry, I don't have his phone number anymore. Might get it from Dula @ 702-493-3361

I'll give 'em a call. Thanks.

-Martin
402BD

Back