What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaring tool choice?

I really like the Parker. It is a little unhandy in tight places, but produces really nice flairs. The other one you suggest has a roller so it should produce nice flairs, too. The rollers really help make flairs without damaging the edges and future failures. I haven't had a flare go bad in three years.

Roberta

I have several flare tools but the one I use on aluminum is the Parker Rolo Flare.

Gary Reynolds
RV6A built/flying
Tech. Counselor (In.)

Flaring tools

Most Flaring tools work well on Aluminum.

I know we are not using Stainless on the RV's, but the Rigid does that very well also.

Its just a little more capable tool.

I do admit the Rolo-Flare is nice and fast when you have more than a few flares to do. ;)

This is not answer to the original but thing I wish to know. As these aviation flares are 37 degrees, where that is measured from?

As I would already have flaring tool for cars, it could be necked down with a turning machine to make 37 degree flares. These car tools are much more inexpensive. As I don't have aviation flaring tool, I'm not sure whether the flare should be smaller or larger as used in car industry. Smaller would feel more practical, but I wish not to quess... and that I may also check out when I do get connectors.

This should help with the Flaring Question.

I just added the 37 degree single flare specifications to my Webstore. :cool:

go to www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

Using the left side menu, go to

Tools, then in tools go to the second from the bottom to,

Single Flare Spec MS33584

Click on the little (TECH INFO) wrench, read the message, then click on the PDF icon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Can not use automotive

Aviation and automotive are not the same - as best as I recall, automotive are 45 deg vs. 37 for aviation. The flare is formed in a sort of press & die action by the flaring tool. You can not use an automotive flaring tool and just turn it part way down.

Rick_A said:
Aviation and automotive are not the same - as best as I recall, automotive are 45 deg vs. 37 for aviation. The flare is formed in a sort of press & die action by the flaring tool. You can not use an automotive flaring tool and just turn it part way down.
Yes they are not. However with price of automotive flaring tools, you can get bunch of them compared to the aviation tools. And since the tool is pretty simple I was planning to modify the "dies" with turning machine so they would do 37 degree flares instead of 45 degree. I'll save $50 and can use it for something else... At least in theory this is simple. ;)

And thanks for the GAHco for the answer. Your "reference only" is just intended for the design. :D

Back