What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GSA28 wing level

g zero

Well Known Member
I noticed on my last flight while in autopilot the wings did not seem level , could have been an illusion. Does the GDU 370 w/GSA28 have a roll offset feature ?

I noticed on my last flight while in autopilot the wings did not seem level , could have been an illusion. Does the GDU 370 w/GSA28 have a roll offset feature ?

Hello gzero,

The G3X autopilot uses the ADAHRS attitude you see on your PFD (good thing - you don't want your autopilot using pitch/roll/airspeed/vertical speed you can't see).

As you know, the ADAHRS pitch/roll offset calibration is done at the beginning when you calibrate your ADAHRS. If your aircraft was not at zero degs roll when you performed that calibration, it would show up as an error in flight.

Additionally, it is your job to apply rudder and keep the aircraft coordinated, even when the autopilot is engaged if you do not have a yaw damper.

In summary, if the ADAHRS pitch/roll offset calibration was not done accurately (unlikely) or the aircraft was flying without the ball centered, you will see it flying with the wings not level some of the time.

Thanks,
Steve

Back