What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

496 mounting ideas

kentb

Well Known Member
I don't think that I want to use the AirGizmo in panel mount. The 496 will be on the passenger side of the panel and I was think about something that would cant the display towards the pilot.

Kent

See my version for an idea

If you look at the panel from my web page you can see the 2/3/496 is mounted in it's own clip on its own base, both Garmin standard stuff. I mounted the base on a piece of flat stock which attaches to the flange at the bottom of the panel. I can adjust it sufficiently in pitch and yaw for lighting conditions and it just clears the tip of the stick when fully forward. It's a very strong mount and not subject to movement as it might be on a long lever. Details on request, of course.

kentb said:
I don't think that I want to use the AirGizmo in panel mount. The 496 will be on the passenger side of the panel and I was think about something that would cant the display towards the pilot.

Kent
Kent, I didn't have room for the Gizmo and also wanted to angle it both up and left so I made a standoff and used part of the supplied mount. Looks good, is space efficient, and puts the right hand side of the unit proud of the panel enough that you can rest your fingers on it in turbulence while using your thumb on the buttons. Drive up to Camas and take a look if you like.
DSC_0627.jpg

I like the way you think

Dang Randy nice panel and that is a good idea. I kind of had the same deal with a Garmin 195. It is nice to have something to brace you hand on while pushing buttons.

Kent I emailed you several Pictures of Garmins mounted in a RV6/7/9 panel. Think there may be some ideas to consider.

I guess the obvious is one of the RAM mounts: http://www.ram-mount.com/

The nice thing about a mobile GPS is taking it with you and using it in car, motorcycle, plane, boat or even hiking. I like the RAM products. A little expensive but worth it. Think out of the BOX. What about off the left side or center low, below the throttle/mix/prop.

If you want it IN the PANEL, than consider putting it where you can reach the buttons. With hand on stick and using right hand consider the reach and not blocking the screen while you pushing the buttons. You will use the buttons a fair amount, probably as much or more than any panel item, so give that priority.

The down side of cutting a big hole in the panel is its a big odd shaped hole. If you change to a new GPS you now have to cover or re-do the old cutout. You should consider surface mount, ON TOP of the panel. (see pics I emailed you)

Obviously its part function, part aesthetics and part limits in space and substructure. This is the fun part; you get to decide.

Last edited:
Thanks and Saturday?

George, Thanks

I will need to do some temp. location trying. There is room below the throttle, but I need to set in the plane with it in that position to see if I wouldn't be needing to turn my head to much to see what is going on.

Randy, how about seeing you panel on Saturday? I'll give you a call.

Kent

Kent-I'm thinking about doing the same thing for a Lowrance 2000C. I don't like the bulkiness of the AirGizmo and the fact that it does not have an option to tilt it. I do, however, want it in the panel to give it a finished look. I find GPS attached to the outside of the panel to be distracting and make the panel look cluttered.

If you look at Steinair's panel sample pages (http://www.steinair.com/panels.htm) you'll see how they cut the panel and created a receiver for a 296 to sit flush. There's no reason you couldn't make one flange of the receiver slightly shorter so that it tilts the GPS slightly. The only downside of this is that you have to cut the panel exactly perfectly since you will see any excess space between the GPS and panel cut-out. It looks like Randy did it perfectly. Also, if you affix it with screws like it seems Randy did, you can always remake the receiver to achieve the exact angle you want with no need to cut the panel again. You could also add or subtract spacers as desired to get it to set proud of the panel or full set into the panel.

Randy-do you have any pictures showing the back side and how you fixed the receiver to the panel and the GPS to the receiver?

Thanks.

Last edited:
alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Randy-do you have any pictures showing the back side and how you fixed the receiver to the panel and the GPS to the receiver?
Not at present but I'll try to remember to take some on Saturday when Kent is over looking at it. Enough other builders have expressed interest that I should probably shoot some closeups.

I have installed the AirGizmo angle adapter along with the AG in the radio stack, to the right of the throttle quadrant. I haven't had a chance to take some pictures of it yet but the angle thing is just right and doesn't detract from the right sider's view.

IMHO, well worth the cost. More so now that the wife has learned how to use it in car mode.

Back