What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview AP Control Panel

Jeff0181

Is the AP Control Panel worth it? How difficult are all the AP functions to access via the display itself?

VFR in basic AP mode screen controls are just fine...full function advanced mode and IFR extra panel is useful...

PS; the knob panel I use all the time, which controls altitude and track of autopilot and saves screen knob for FPM.

Last edited:
For expert mode, the AP Panel is extremely nice to have. It also gives auto trim if you have electric trim.

Last edited:
My 2 cents...

Like Bruce said, VFR without it is a piece o' cake.

IFR is another story and I wouldn't fly IFR without it...too many menus to dive into and go back and forth between while flying single pilot to make the built-in AP controls safe enough (to me) of a solution for serious IFR work. Very nice to just punch a button to get the AP to do what you want while having to simultaneously swap out nav sources between the GTN 625 and SL-30 while changing freq's and setting a new altitude or copying a clearance.

Very reasonable $$$ spent for the capability gained, plus the addition of auto trim just seals the deal...

I did it mainly for auto-trim but still tweaking my AP settings (~12 hrs on the Hobbs).

When I get to IFR training, I will hopefully use it more.

Worth every penny. Makes all facets easier. I love the Dynon radio. Automatically puts in all available frequencies when airport ID is selected. Really cool additions at reasonable prices.

Skyview out of the box A/P is outstanding. I have considered the add on box really only for the auto trim but I am out of panel space.

You will just regret not getting later

Jeff, truth be told I don't have Dynon but have flown with it. The AP controller is something that in the big scheme of costs is worth every penny. Even for VFR. You figure you spend so much money on the plane, panel, avionics, etc. and then one day while you are out flying or just sitting on the ground the engine running and you're pre-setting your AP you'll think to you self, dang I wish I had the knobs and buttons... at that very minute the $550 will feel like a great deal. Get it, you won't regret it later.

I've been flying my -12 for almost two years/250 hrs now and, to tell the truth, I don't use the AP enough to bother with the knobs. This is a fun airplane to fly and I'd just rather hand fly it. I have made several trips and used the AP for those and using the on screen controls has been easy and straight-forward in both Simple and Expert mode. Just not worth the trouble to install for me. ymmv

Back