What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Labrador

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Thinking of making a trip to Labrador this summer. Being such a remote place any advice would be appreciated.

I have advice

My advice is wait until I complete my -14. You should do the trip as a flight of two.😊

The best piece of advice is PLAN AHEAD. This is a very large, very remote piece of the world. Airports are few and very far between. Fuel is something you want to call ahead and pre-arrange to ensure it's available. Take along a good survival kit, including LOTS of bug juice. Temperatures range from hot and humid to below freezing... in the summer! Be prepared to spend several days in a tiny town where there is nothing to do, for several days, while you wait out weather.

All of this sounds pretty negative, so now for the positive. Be prepared to see some of the most incredible untouched territory on earth. Flying over this land gives you a sense of just how small, fragile and unimportant we are as humans.

The best piece of advice is PLAN AHEAD. This is a very large, very remote piece of the world. Airports are few and very far between. Fuel is something you want to call ahead and pre-arrange to ensure it's available. Take along a good survival kit, including LOTS of bug juice. Temperatures range from hot and humid to below freezing... in the summer! Be prepared to spend several days in a tiny town where there is nothing to do, for several days, while you wait out weather.

All of this sounds pretty negative, so now for the positive. Be prepared to see some of the most incredible untouched territory on earth. Flying over this land gives you a sense of just how small, fragile and unimportant we are as humans.

This is what I'm doing now, just hoping someone that has experienced this area would chime in and give feed back on what they did and perhaps who they contacted to make preparations.

Ron - start with the NFLD & Lab tourism folks - they are well equipped to give guidance on what there is to see and do in Lab. They might even help you with a flying club or similar contact. Then cross-ref those "things to see and do" against the Canada Flight Supplement. Call the airport contact number and talk to them. See if they have fuel, tie-downs (check the rates!) and see if they take credit cards. Then talk to them about the more human side of things - where to stay, who else to call in or around town to help with accommodations, food, local travel etc. You will be surprised how friendly some of the folks can be. You will also be surprised how unfriendly some can be, especially if you're thinking of flying into what is, essentially, a "company" airport. Take lots of cash. Be prepared to use a satellite phone because there is little to no cellular service. I don't even know if Lab City has cellular service now.

Just remember, this is frontier country - be prepared for it, and don't expect ANY of the comforts of home, and don't take ANYTHING for granted.

Back