What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Roll Servo Mounting Questions

N369DB

I'm New Here
Hello Everybody,

I am working on my RV6 Fuselage and comming up soon I need to think about Autopilot Servo Mounting Options. I am looking at the True Track. My friend Mannan has it in his RV8 and it works perfect!

My question is: What is the best Roll Servo Mounting option? Wing Mounted or under the Seat / Baggage area?

My Second Question: I am not Tailwheel Rated, Would it be wise to convert my 6 to a 6A or learn to fly tailwheel in a RV6? I love to travel and fly in various wind / Weather conditions.

Thanks for your help,

David Bristol
N969DB Flying Piper Cherokee
N369DB RV6-QB - Fuselage

Hi Dave:

I have a navaid wing leveler in my 6A and I mounted the servo at the left wingtip. Access is obviously not a problem and it functions flawlessly. I used a 3/4" diameter aluminum tube as a pushrod.

I have heard of problems with interference with the contol column when servo is mounted under the seat. Not that it can't be done, just that it is more of a challenge.

Regards,

If you are going to install Vans aileron trim, it also goes under the seats.
I was going to mount my servo under the seat, but after installing the trim kit, I change to the wing. It would have been very tight under the seat.

Kent

If the skinning of your wing is not complete, then I'd mount the servo by the inspection plate for the aileron bellcrank. This allows for a nice short rod connection. There are plenty of pics around these builder sites. Just use the search function of google,etc.

I added a servo to my 6A after the wing was complete. It's a Trio with a Navaid type servo mounted on the last rib under the wing tips. It's along the lines of the TruTrak servo shown in the other reply link. I still liked the inspection plate location, but it was too much of a pain to get around in there.

On the other hand, there is another method of mounting the servo in the last rib bay. I believe that the Trio kit from SafeAir uses this approach. It sits on a flat plate parallel the spar. Wouldn't hurt to check into that, as a TruTrak servo should easily mount there. I'd probably do it this way, if doing it again.

I also put my servo in the right wing tip, as it never hurts to offset my weight a bit. :)

Wing Tip

David,
I mounted the TruTrak roll servo in my finished RV-6A. I just couldn't see any way to put it in the bay with the bell crank. Not enough room for me to get in there.

I ended up installing the TruTrak mount for the roll servo between the two outer most ribs in the right wing, and fabricated a 3/4 pushrood to the bell crank. I have had it installed for several years, and it is working great, with no problems during the condition inspections.

If you are interested, please e-mail me, and I will send you some pictures.

[email protected]

Wes Hays
N844WB
Winters, TX

RV6 Roll Servo

For the RV6 we install the roll servo under the pilot or co-pilot seat. Make sure that you do use the doubler plate that comes with the RV6 under seat roll bracket.
I have 750hs in my roll servo alone with out any problems.

Back