What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle drill attachments

ge9a

Well Known Member
Anybody have any comments on using the angle drill attachments from Avery or Cleaveland? An angle drill may not be necessary (or maybe I'll find that it will be later) but it sure would be handy in some spots. But the angle air drills are spendy.

Thanks for any comments.

E-Bay

Try E-Bay. I have had great success and paid less than half for a refurbished unit. A company called tool-eez is good to deal with and it seems that they always have the drills available on E-Bay.

I bought a 90 degree attachment for my drill from Aircraft Spruce for 42 bucks. It's called a Tight Fit Drill Kit and came with 6 bits. Works fine for the number of times that you'll need it.

Steve Zicree

Agreed. Buy the Aircraft Spruce unit and save your money. It will be handy to have and fine for light use.

I bought my RV-6 but needed an angle drill to upgrade the panel and drilling inside the stack opening wouldn't allow any standard tools I already had. I had picked up an angle drill attachment form Harbor Freight Tools for 13
bucks......it worked fine. Maybe a little awkward attached to another drill, but I didn't have any problem at all.

3/8'' ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT WITH JACOBS? CHUCK
3/8'' ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT WITH JACOBS? CHUCK

Great for getting into tight places. Ideal for drilling cable pathways between studs and joists. Attaches to any 3/8'' electric or air drill.

* 3/8'' Jacobs? chuck
* Ball bearing shaft support
* Permanently lubricated
* 3/8''-24 UNF spindle thread
* 2-3/8''W x 6''L overall dimensions
* 0.65 lbs. tool weight

ITEM 43623-2VGA

$19.99
$12.49 Email a FriendEmail link to a friend

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43623 :D

Angle drill

Thanks for the responses. I like the Tight Fit Drill Kit from Aircraft Spruce, but is doesn't look like it comes with the 'mini 3-jaw chuck' for standard drill bits (up to 1/4"), like the more expense models from Avery or Cleaveland have. Does anyone know if that's true? It seems like having the mini chuck would be handy, but maybe not worth the price difference.

I got the angle attachment from Clevveland. On at least one occaision the bit in the chuck would not track straight. Not good when drilling the rear spar. The screw in bits work very well.

Derrell

The kit form spruce does not have a 3 jaw chuck, but comes with bits. Replacement bits are available everywhere.

Flexible Drive "snake?"

There were several times in the building of my plane where I needed to get into some seemingly inaccessible areas and found the flexible drive with the 1/4" socket and drills with a 1/4" drive head gave me the best and cheapest solution.

Bob Axsom

right angle

I bought a 90 degree from Cleavland and use it constantly, both on the Souix drill and the cordless Dewalt........Love it!!

Hwood

Back