What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Change Phase 1 test points

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Gang,
I'm a week out from changing my FP Sensinich out for a CS Hartzell, which of course will drive a Phase 1 test period. Can the brain trust please recommend some specific test points I should wring out? Of course I'll record new speeds/fuel flows at different altitudes and power settings. Any others, like climb speeds, etc?

climb - descent - sink rate

For sure you'll want to nail down Vy, as well as your best power-off glide speed and sink rate. If your engine quits you'll definitely want to know how far you can glide with the new prop. I did those tests by timing how long it took to climb/descent 1,000' at different airspeeds. When I changed from a 2-blade to 3-blade FP prop, it made a HUGE difference in sink rate and glide distance.

Also test the difference between glide at flat pitch and glide at coarse pitch.

Thumbs up for this one!
Not everyone knows about this. It is very important info and is amazing regarding the huge difference in glide distance.
Leaving the prop control in results in a flat pitch, big brake causing drag. After setting up the power off glide at idle, the test would be then to pull the prop control full out, it should then change to course pitch, less drag.
Ask your instructor about this and maybe have him/her demonstrate

Back