What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monument Valley Flyout

Do you have the nearest airport identifier? or GPS coordinates? There is no airport named "Monument Valley".

Last edited:
Looks like the identifier, per AirNav.com, is UT25 - it's a private strip. Sounds like a cool destination. I'll definately keep it in mind for when the airplane is flying.

Geico266 said:
Do you have the nearest airport identifier? or GPS coordinates? There is no airport named "Monument Valley".

Shamelessly stolen from the AZ-RV-List..... :)

I believe it is now 71V
Lat/Long = N 37 degrees 1.00 min, W 110 degrees, 12.04 minutes

VOR/DME fixes for 71V

FMN267103
DVC218077
PGA068061

Runway 16/34: 4000 feet long.

Land uphill runway 16. Hard dirt for first 4/5 of runway. Takeoff
downhill runway 34, asphalt for first 1/5 of takeoff run.

Elevation: 5,192
Pattern altitude: 6,200 left base for 16

Tiedown cables are available but bring ropes, or ropes and tiedown
anchors.

Useful frequencies:

CTAF: 122.9
Multicom over the monuments: 122.75
Cedar City Radio: 122.4
Denver Center: 127.55 They can pick you up above about 8,000 ft but
you will need to be above 10,000 for radar service

gil in Tucson

picture of runway

Steve said:
BYOB 'cause it's not available on the reservation.
Steve
If thats "bring your own babe", then I am covered.;)

Here is a picture of the runway. It is interesting to have a rock face of a vertical cliff right at the end of the runway when you are approaching. Not a lot of room for a go-around.
monu1.jpg

The twins from Las Vegas that bring in the tourists land and take off on the last 900 ft of the runway which is asphalted.

This is a shot of Monument Valley when we did our shakedown cruise on our 7A in May 2004. It was slightly overcast and about 7:30am with the morning sun filtering in through holes in the clouds. We did this in poster size because the colors were so beautiful. Navajo Mountain is in the background

Roberta

monumentvalleya1me.jpg

Last edited:
robertahegy said:
This is a shot of Monument Valley when we did our shakedown cruise on our 7A in May 2004. Roberta

Roberta, you win. That is possibly the most beautiful landscape picture that I've ever seen. Boy, fixed pitch, lyc or sube, steam or glass, nose or tail wheel, tilt or slider all seem like great ideas if they get you to places like this. What a great hobby we have.

Best,

Thanks, Bryan. I did the piloting. My hubby, Rich, captured the shot with our Canon EOS D30 SLR digital camera with a Tamron 28-300 zoom lense. I have several other great shots we printed out. It was an unusual day as the cloud cover was slightly broken with small patches of sun making it through. The foliage was very green (mid May) and the early time of the day (about 7:30 am) made for a really colorful flight through the valley. We had just left Page, AZ on our way back home and decided to fly over the valley on the way back to Wisconsin.

Just to give an idea how quickly we can travel in our RVs, we left Page at 7am local and landed at Air Troy in Wisconsin at 515pm. That's 8 hrs 15 min travel time with two fuel stops (could have done it with one) and an actual flying (hobbs time) of 7 hrs 10 min. Our route was Page AZ, Monument Valley UT, Santa Fe NM, Dalhart TX, Pittsburg KS, East Troy WI.

We will be back in Monument Valley in May. Here's another pic for inspiration.

Roberta

mv30qi.jpg

az_gila said:
Looks like they are sold out for the 10th..... :(

gil in Tucson
Hi Gil,
Looks like it. Surprised they are. There are 16 rooms available on Saturday March 3rd.
Only a few available on Saturday, March 17th, however the price on the 17th jumps from $73 a night to $123 a night. Looks like spring is a busy season for them.

Wonder how many of the reserved rooms are for RVers?
Anyone got an extra bed for Gil?

Big Bend instead...

Ironflight said:
You'll just have to come join as Big Bend the weekend of the 16th then Gil!! ;)

Paul

The CFO just approved a Big Bend trip.... :)

Was going to stay on the way to picking her up in Houston - it's near enough to halfway... :)

Her Houston dates changed ... but it sounds like a good solo trip anyway.

gil in Tucson

Back