What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ammeter bouncing?!

A300Driver

So today inflight I noticed my ammeter bouncing b/t -1 to @ 10, the frequency of the "bouncing" increased rapidly if I put an extra load on it like the landing lights - what the heck can it be, a bad voltage regulator?

Normally its pretty steady at or @ 0 on the ammeter @5 minutes after start.....

Last year the local A&P checked out my alternator and said it was fine........

Sounds like a bad connection. Mine did the same thing and the problem was traced to a bad connection between the Alt switch and the regulator. Check the archives on this one as well.

I had a heck of a problem with wires breaking at the connections from vibration near the alt (after 75 hours) until I moved the external VR to the firewall. I tried solder, crimping, butt connections, silicone. Then the alt finally quit after only 300 hours. I replaced it with a Plane Power Alt. I like the overvoltage protection. No problems since, but it has only been only 10 hours.

http://www.plane-power.com/

Last edited:
Voltage regulator?

I had a similar problem, but would better describe it as volts showing either 13.8 or 12.6 with engine running, and when back to 13.8 amps went to normal battery charge amp draw indication, before receding back to zero. Using 35A Van's supplied alternator with ext VR installed behind instrument panel, in cockpit. After changing the alternator plug, checking belt tension, etc., threw a new VR at it and fixed this intermittent problem.

I too have had the same problem, and after checking all the connects it was suggested that I replace the field wire and its connection. This was after several back and forths with Bob "the electrically guy" Knuckles (sp?). Anywho, it worked and no problems since.

Last edited:
Back