What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV access without ownership ?

speed

I am new to GA, not yet started my pilot training. Like everyone else I am looking to build a RV10 while I train and build hours. However my bean counter has been working on overdrive. Getting an RV10 is not the issue, its the month-to-month $$$ that seem to add up over time.

Can experimentals be rented? Borrowed? Short of getting a few friends to build and maintain an RV, how is the best way to leverage an experimental for intermediate pilots? I think, it was Jay who posed me with the 100hr minimum rule for aircraft ownership to be cost effective.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

godspeed said:
can you explain the 100 hour min rule to me.. just wondering..

Danny..

I am not familiar with the 100 hour min rule per se but it is fairly easy to put a pencil too it.

Rental
==============================
$100/hour x 100 hours = $10,000 per year

Ownership
=========================================
Per Rosie, $3600 the first hour and $42/hour after that.

$3600+($99x42) = $7,758 per year for the first 100 hours

But wait that is just operating costs.

What about the cost of the aircraft?

$60,000/20 years = $3,000 per year.

Rough estimate of ownership = $10,758 per year.

This is just about a break even proposition using these numbers. For each hour flown above 100 hours, ownership costs will be $42 per hour while rental costs will be $100 per hour. The more you fly the more you save :confused:

You can plug in whatever numbers you want and come up with a break even point.

Last edited:
That good !!!

Wow your good. Thats even better than I could have put it.

100hr is the break even point between just renting & owning (incluing ALL operating costs :eek: ).

As you know its more than just fuel when you own a plane. and dont forget hangar rent too. There are benifits to renting, ie park it an leave :D but the selection is limited.

HOWEVER, this is my catch 22. How do I get the performance of an RV without incuring the ownership expenses . I am still working on this :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Own vs. rent

One of the "intangibles" in the cost calculations is Pride Of Ownership. Very difficult to put a price tag on it(or assign a discount value from the cost of ownership), but you can sure feel it when you fire up the engine. :)

Mark

The dollars may work out that way, but the formula doesn't take into account the benefit of ownership beyond just dollars.

Benefits you can't assign dollars to are:

1. Rental airplanes are meant to be rented a LOT in order to make money on them. That makes it really difficult to rent one for more than a couple of hours. With ownership, you can plan the kind of trips (overnighters and multi-day vacations) that are almost impossible to do with rentals. If all a person wants to do is bore holes in the sky for an hour at a time, then rentals make more sense.

2. With ownership, you get to fly (every time) an aircraft that is equipped exactly how you want it to be. You're always familiar with it's avionics and how they work as opposed to having to take whatever rental is available that may be equipped differently.

3. With ownership, especially Experimental ownership, you personally know the maintenance history of your aircraft. I don't think the value of that needs to be explained.

4. Specifically with regard to the RV's; how many honest 200mph aircraft are available for rent at the typical FBO? And at how much per hour?... likely a lot more than $100?

5. Also specifically with regard to RV's; it looks to me from what I've seen that a typical RV that has several hundred hours on it will sell for about the same number of dollars that it cost to build... give or take a few. Those dollars amount to a lot of "recovered" dollars assigned originally to the formula while you're not going to get a dime back after spending the rental money on one of those greasy, coffee stained, oil slimed, broken knob, student abused, rentals.
While not specific enough to compute into the "formula", these ARE dollars you can get back eventually.

I got my ticket in '84 but gave up flying within 2 or 3 years after that because I just couldn't do what I wanted to do with rentals, and I never could afford to buy a GA spam can (and still can't). I didn't think I'd ever get back to flying again until the RV series finally spawned the '7, and being able to get into a brand new aircraft that I can afford (hopefully ;) ) and performs like a Mooney (or better :D ) is what's bringing me back into the sport.
It is the prospect of ownership rather than renting (for the above stated reasons that are not dependant on $$$) that has brought me back to a life-long passion. (That, and the fact that I can afford to acquire (build) a better aircraft than I could afford to buy.)

Building and flying and maintaining an RV is tremendously less expensive than owning and flying and maintaining a comparably capable aircraft (I'm thinkin' Mooney at 1/4 Million+), but it is still not cheap by any means. Still the difference in overall costs does allow many of us to participate where we couldn't otherwise.

The one constant about ANY activity, hobby or sport or item of any kind is that, as they say about how much it costs; "If you have to ask, you can't afford it". :D

It's those little things

Just one little story about owning your own plane.

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine was looking for a third person to go wakeboarding. His boat was 90 miles from my house. As much as I wanted to get some early season wakeboarding in, that was just too far. I got on my computer and did a quick search on Flightstar. Turns out there is a small airport right next to where he puts his boat in. I called my buddy back and said I'm in, only if he picks me up at the airport. Later that day I was wakeboarding.

20 minute flight each way to go wakeboarding = about $30 in fuel

Having one of the guys in the boat say it was right out of James Bond when I flew my plane in and took my board out of the passenger seat = priceless

Agreed...but...

I agree with everything except the last statement. If one really doesn't have to ask, then that person probably can afford a 250K plus GA plane.

I think Van said it correctly on his PR tape, when he says that when it comes to building, you either want to build or you have to build. Kits have allowed a lot of people to get into aircraft ownership who otherwise probably couldn't do so. There are few people in this world who can go into such an endeavor without concern for the cost.

I do agree with everything else you said. The intangibles are a big part of it.

RVs, Renting and Cost.

speed said:
Getting an RV10 is not the issue, its the month-to-month $$$ that seem to add up over time.

Can experimentals be rented? Borrowed? Short of getting a few friends to build and maintain an RV, how is the best way to leverage an experimental for intermediate pilots?.
You cant legally rent an experimental in any way. There is a waiver for a CFI giving instruction in an experimental aircraft but is very restricted.

Yes you could borrow a RV, but the chance is slim. You could consider a 2 or 3 person partnership in buying a completed RV or doing a whole building project. The people you partner with better get along. Lots of books on setting up these flying partnerships, but best between friends where everyone pulls their weight and pays their bills.

The obvious advantage of renting is fly it and forget it. No real worry if the engine has a valve problem, radio does not work or oil change is due, write it up and walk away, pay as you go with no exposure to unexpected problems. Also when not flying you are not paying for hanger, insurance, tax or anything except may be monthly flying club dues. Not flying your own plane for 2 months could still cost you $1000.

Unfortunately after you fly a RV flying a C-152 is not super exciting. Nothing wrong with the C-152, especially when learning, just that it is no RV in feel by a factor of 10,000% and in performance by a factor of 4. (Min-Van vs. Ferrari or Turbo Porsche)

The good part in experimental aircraft if you are going to own a plane is they appreciate in value, in general. Also you save money on maintenance, routine and annual inspections (called condition inspections on experimental aircraft). A Cessna or Piper annual may cost $600 or $6000. RV?s are fixed gear, easy to maintain relative to factory planes. If you do buy an RV (experimental), you can work on it but will require an A&P to do the condition inspection. If you assist them and do most of the work it should not cost more than a few hundred dollars.

The joy of owning an experimental is working on it. After you finish building it you must still work on it. Even if it is built real well there are still areas that seem to always need attention. Mostly things that rattle under the cowl form the shaking going on. For every 2-3 hours, you might work on it 1 hour, but it is an enjoyable hour.

Besides pride of ownership, if you only fly 10 hours a year you are in for a real bad cost per hour ratio no matter what you own. However if you own your own plane you tend to fly more. SO if you have the personal time and money to pay for gas you will be in the air more. If you build a simple RV with used parts, park it outside, do all maintenance, live in a state with no personal property tax and don?t have airframe insurance, you can have a very cost effective airplane. However most RV's are 60-80 grand assets, in hangers and most fully insured.

Insurance, will cost you because you are a low time pilot in a high performance airplane. You thought the FAA determined what you could fly. No. The insurance companies thru statistics, and insurance premiums determine what you can fly (or afford to fly). :eek: No tail dragger time? Ouch. You may be looking at $2,000-$2,500 a year. If you are willing to be ?self-insured? than you can just get liability or not. There is no forced liability insurance for planes as there is for cars, as far as I know. However your ass is hanging out if you hurt someone or their property.

Most states will tax your RV either one time initially, like a sales tax, even if you built it or in many states, property tax is paid annually based on the value forever! So you could be talking a one time $2,000 or say $600 a year, every year.

What I am saying is, fixed cost (hanger/insurance/tax) and hourly cost (fuel/oil/tires/plugs/brakes) will determine how many hours you must fly every year to justify the cost over renting. That annual flight hour number to break even can be real high. However we are talking about an experimental that you cant rent and the joy of owning and maintaining. There are a lot of books out there on how to set up partnerships and fly for less money. In the end I have always done very well with my planes, flying the hell out of them and selling them for more than I paid, but I also flew 120-200+ hours year in&out and had the ability and desire to work on them. So hourly costs were not bad, but you have to spend $9,000 to save $4,000.

Cheers George :D

Last edited:
Buy a trainer

speed said:
I am new to GA, not yet started my pilot training. Like everyone else I am looking to build a RV10 while I train and build hours. However my bean counter has been working on overdrive. Getting an RV10 is not the issue, its the month-to-month $$$ that seem to add up over time.

Can experimentals be rented? Borrowed? Short of getting a few friends to build and maintain an RV, how is the best way to leverage an experimental for intermediate pilots? I think, it was Jay who posed me with the 100hr minimum rule for aircraft ownership to be cost effective.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This question pops up all the time -- the idea of building an RV while learning to fly or building an RV to train in.

When you decide to either learn to fly or to build an airplane, you are basically signing up for a new part-time job. If you have another full-time job, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do both.

And as far as using an RV for training goes, the old timers will tell you that anyone can learn to fly in anything. Much as I respect old-timers -- rubbish! 20 year old Air Force pilot candidates with nothing else to do can learn to fly in anything. Most of the rest of us need to learn in a trainer that can survive the hundred or so really bad landings that it's going to take you to learn to do it right.

My advice is to first learn how to buy a trainer. You need either a Cessna 150/152 or a Piper Cherokee 140. I'd recommend the Cherokee because its landing characteristics are similar to an RV. You'll need to start hanging out at the airport and join your local EAA chapter to develop friends who know airplanes and can help you find a good one. You're probably going to spend six months finding the perfect trainer, but if you ask me, shopping for airplanes is almost as much fun as flying them or building them. If you spend the time and research to buy right, you'll get your money back and then some when you sell it in a couple of years to start your RV project. And you'll learn all sorts of valuable stuff about aircraft ownership, especially around annual time (which, of course, you will be heavily involved in).

Month-to-month costs? An RV is a little cheaper to fly (if you don't count insurance or hangars) but WAY more expensive to buy/build. If cost is such a big factor, you need to be looking at $20K trainers, not $80K sport planes.

Besides, what's the big hurry? Enjoy the journey!

Jon.

FAA Order 8130.2 contains the requirements for issuing a "Special Airworthiness Certificate" for your Amateur Built Aircraft.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/6acfe7e4181d16ef86256f4d006b29be/$FILE/Order8130F-2F.pdf
The Operating Limitations issued with the Special Airworthiness Certificate will have the following Limitation: "No person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property for compensation or hire." NO you cannot rent a homebuilt aircraft. Yes you can have a partnership.

Back