What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cb's dimension

henriquerv9

Hi all,

I just starting my electrical system in my RV7, last time i used exp2bus, so i didnt need circuit breakers. This time i will use CB's, so i just would like to double check with experienced guys if make the righr dimension for it. here's what i am planning :

GPS / RADIOS (ICOM A200/ GARMIN GTX 327 / GARMIN 296 / PM1000II INTERCOM) : 15 AMP CIRCUINT BREAKER FOR ALL

EFIS D100 / EMS. D120 : 5 AMP CB
TRUTRAK AUTOPILOT /SERVOS : 10 AMP CB
STROBE SYSTEM : 10 AMP CB
LED NAV LIGHTS : 2 AMP CB
LANDING SYSTEM : 5 AMP CB
FLAP MOTOR : 10 AMP CB
TRIM SYSTEM : 5 AMP CB
HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP : 5 AMP CB

DID I UNDER/OVER DIMENSION OR FORGET SOMETHING HERE? ANY HELP VERY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

REGARDS

HENRIQUE CASTRO

breakers

LANDING SYSTEM : 5 AMP CB

... looks a little undersize to me (assuming this is the landing _light_). even a single duckworks non-hid is ~55 watts/12v = 4.58 amps. i'd think you'd want a little more headroom than that. and if it's dual duckworks, 5 amps is obviously too small out of the gate. of course, if this is not the landing light, but your autoland interface to the trutrak, then disregard. ;)

Depends on CB

What brand and size CB? I highly suggest you use real high quality CB's such as Texas Instruments Klixon type. They are also the most compact vertically.

http://www.sensata.com/files/2TC2_AE.pdf

You can force the on-center side by side about 0.75 inch. ( would not go tigher, 13/16" would be better.

Vertically, no closer than 1". Be very careful the terminal poke out slightly from the case (0.781") so plan on 1" vertical min, may be 1.125 for breathing room.

They go better side by side so all my 16 CB's are horizontal along the bottom of the left panel.

If you use a 50 amp CB or larger they get bigger. http://www.sensata.com/products/controls/acb-6752-100.htm#drawings

I have a 45 amp alternator and the above big 50 amp Klixon is all by itself on the far right of the plane, AND no it will not be noisy despite some claims for proponents of fuses (ala automobile) on the B-lead of the alternator. 99% of all planes are wired with the BIG CB in the panel like this, and I don't recall noise in the 50 or 70 different N-numbered Cessna's, Pipers, Mooney's, NA, Grumman, Boeing........

In fact if you have a I-VR alternator, I personally feel it's a must to have a CB (pull-able) for the B-lead. The Buss-man Fuse under the cowl is a nice idea and does delete a few feet of wire, one wire pass firewall penetration and one panel mounted CB. That's great but just know what you have. I like control over the B-lead and get a warm-fuzzy and gooey-all-over seeing those big manly-man-macho CB's in the panel I can see and touch. Besides the one with the most switches and buttons and protrusions sticking out the panel looks more awesome. :D (kidding to each is own, just one man's opinion.)

NOTE THIS IS FOR ONE BRAND OF CB! YOU HAVE TO MEASURE THE ONES YOU GET! :D :eek: (suggest you don't go crazy too tight, 0.75(horz) x 1.0(vert) center-center would be a min)

Last edited:
Back