What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A speed

iluv2fly

For those of you who are running the 0-235, I know there are only a few, what kind of top speed and climb performance are you getting out of them. Also what prop combo are you running. I am thinking of putting the catto 3 blade on my 0-235 set more toward a climb pitch but would still like a top speed of 160mph. Thanks.

2 vs 3 blades

FYI - I sent Craig at Catto a note a few months back asking him if I can go with a three blade prop on my O-290 powered -9 and he said no because it just didn't put out enough power. So I'm back to thinking about one of his 2 bladed props. :( I'm only disapointed because I think the three blades would look so cool!

More blades, more cost...

Bill,

I presume the 3-blade prop you are considering is a variable pitch/constant speed prop. Not only will it cost more up front to purchase, but it will be more expensive to service at TBO for the prop.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
Hartzell 2-blade, C/S prop.
ECI Titan 0-320-D1A, 160 HP

No it is not a constant speed prop and it costs 1000 for a new 2 blade prop. I have heard they perform great. Even if i could not get the 3 blade I would probably buy one of his 2 blade props.

Jerry,

No, I was talking to him about a fixed pitch wood prop. Like iluv2fly, I will go with the two bladed prop for performance and cost reasons.

Also like iluv2fly, I gave some serious thought about putting an O-235 on the front of my -9 but found such a great deal on the O-290 I couldn't pass it up.

The biggest problem with installing something other than an O-320 is installing it. All of Van's drawings, FWF kit, etc. is set up for the O-320 and not the O-235 or O-290.

Back