What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2018 Cold Lake Airshow

hom409

Good day to VAF network.

I would like to see the interest in RVs and Rockets (since this guy owns an F1 Rocket) in trying to include a fly in for our 2018 Airshow. The 2016 show had a great lineup with a 14 Ship Mass Attack with F18/Hawks, Snowbirds, CF18 Demo Team, USAF F16 Demo Team, Melissa Pemberton Edge 540, Kent Piestch and the Skyhawks parachute team to name a few.

The plan for 2018 will be to have all our Canadian teams, a larger statics display and the F22 Raptor (this year we had the B52, F16 Aggressors, A10, C17, A310 polaris, CP140 Aurora, C130J, large Army display, large classic car display, Precision Exotics car track and many more).

The intent would be to open the invitation to arrive by Friday 1800 and leave at the earliest Sunday after 1800. I would not be open to people coming in for 1 day only. Pilots would be responsible to arrange their own Prior Permission request, lodging, car rentals and meals. This year, the show site had over 28 food vendors. You would have access to the site for 3 days and would be part of our static display. Due to being on a military facility, any aircraft arriving will be subject to inspection from our military police or RCMPs. As the show site needs to be secured at night, I do not intend to have people camping by their aircraft.

As an F1 Rocket owner myself, I think this could bring a unique attraction to the show site while giving the unique opportunity for you to participate in the largest military airshow in Western Canada. Military shows are not typically open to civilian traffic or fly ins. I would also love to open the opportunity to any USA RV aircraft providing they clear customs prior to arrival in Cold Lake. The tentative dates for our 2018 show is 20-22 July 2018.

If we have enough interest, I would make a case to open the show for the VAF and have an RV meet.

Thank you and looking forward to seeing the interest.

Hom
Cold Lake Airshow
Director of Air Ops

www.coldlakeairshow.com
FB Cold lake Airshow
Apple/Android App/Cold Lake Airshow

The intent would be to open the invitation to arrive by Friday 1800 and leave at the earliest Sunday after 1800.

I would love to come to this, but being a working stiff, getting away from the office in time to arrive Friday before 6pm, and getting home for work on Monday after leaving Cold Lake Sunday at 6pm, likely isn't an option. Might be able to get a Friday off to get in early, but getting back Sunday would be the barrier.

Try to find a way for people to fly in Saturday AM, spend the night, and leave early afternoon on Sunday, and you could get a significant west-coast contingent.

Dates

Hey Hom,

Are the dates concrete in July in 2018? I have to preplan vacation in Dec 2017 for 2018. My -8 will be ready next summer, so I'll be more than ready to come out and attend in 2018. I owe Crank the use of my -8 after he took care of me a few years back.....

Donor wants an RV....maybe he'll have one by then or he can fly out with me. I'll reach out to him.

Haven't talked to Whitey in a bit...is he still looking at a RV or a Rocket?

Be nice to fly out there in a gaggle from Ontario!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited:
I would be interested in attending, no problems with the times provided the weather cooperates for getting in.

Count me in! I would indeed be interested in bringing my RV-7A to Cold Lake in 2018. As a former member of the RCAF/CAF and a member of 434 Sqn ('69-'71) while it was based at CYOD, it would be more than appropriate! I would also spread the word (Vernon BC) to see if we couldn't get a half dozen or so from here to attend...

John

(Edited to correct dates)

Last edited:
Games?

I'll come up if you still play CRUD introduced to my squadron when Maple Flag exercises were held there many years ago.

Hey Hom,

Are the dates concrete in July in 2018? I have to preplan vacation in Dec 2017 for 2018. My -8 will be ready next summer, so I'll be more than ready to come out and attend in 2018. I owe Crank the use of my -8 after he took care of me a few years back.....

Donor wants an RV....maybe he'll have one by then or he can fly out with me. I'll reach out to him.

Haven't talked to Whitey in a bit...is he still looking at a RV or a Rocket?

Be nice to fly out there in a gaggle from Ontario!

Cheers,

Don

Don:

We are currently planning the 20-22 July 2018. Unless you hear otherwise, those are the dates. We want to always plan for the 3rd weekend in July. Whitie is still looking at getting a Rocket! Even Crank wants a Rocket now!

I am looking at the interest at this time. My issue is the logistics of accommodating civilian fly ins. I cannot afford to have multiple arrival during our show time for Saturday and Sunday. I could see a departure after the show on Sunday but don't like the idea of arrival/departure on Saturday.

Hom

I would love to come to this, but being a working stiff, getting away from the office in time to arrive Friday before 6pm, and getting home for work on Monday after leaving Cold Lake Sunday at 6pm, likely isn't an option. Might be able to get a Friday off to get in early, but getting back Sunday would be the barrier.

Try to find a way for people to fly in Saturday AM, spend the night, and leave early afternoon on Sunday, and you could get a significant west-coast contingent.

Rob:

The logistics in authorizing arrival on a Saturday (security, parking, fuel etc) is not worth our efforts. I could see a departure on Sunday after the show. This is still preliminary and I am trying to see if it's worth the effort.

Hom

Count me in! I would indeed be interested in bringing my RV-7A to Cold Lake in 2018. As a former member of the RCAF/CAF and a member of 434 Sqn ('69-'71) while it was based at CYOD, it would be more than appropriate! I would also spread the word (Vernon BC) to see if we couldn't get a half dozen or so from here to attend...

John

I love the enthusiasm. This is what I am looking for. Keen people who want to be part of the entire show and visit a new area. I would love to see previous military members come up to our show and tell us all their stories.

Hom

Two hour flight for me; I could definitely be talked into it. I'll bet you could talk Stu into pulling his 2016 Bronze Lindy winning 6 out of the hangar and over to the Wing for the occasion too! Now if we can just get Frog into an RV by then...I still need to get him up in mine to finish setting the hook.

what's a skooner eh?

John

John, were you an F-5 driver at Cold Lake? so much is still classified I know!
......we'll have to doll up your -7a to compliment the flavour of the day!
Northrop_Canadair_CF-116A_CL-219_Canada_-_Air_Force_AN1142468_zpsevbjrae6.jpg

Perry:

Nothing classified! I was indeed with 434 Sqn from '69 - '71. Great little aircraft. I didn't fly the one pictured and I can't see the other aircraft as the gun door is open, but I flew both the single version (pictured) and the dual version.

It would be great if we could get some aircraft from the Okanagan up to Cold Lake!

John

Would love to go! Only about a 1 hr flight for me. Looked at going last year, until I realized I couldn't fly in.

Back