What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor noise reduced!

RScott

Well Known Member
It's a large compressor for a home unit, 12.5 cfm @ 100 psi. Loud, even though it's belt driven.

The belt shield is in 2 halves. When I had to pull the belt recently, I put some of that cheapie foam weatherstripping between the 2 halves of the shield.

Cut the noise by a third! No longer nead hearing protection when it runs.

I hope this helps someone else.

Another Noise Trick

If you have a compressor with a pipe thread holding on the air intake filter you can plumb it with iron pipe out through the side wall. Screw the filter on outside and make a weather hood for it. We cut our shop compressor noise by about half doing this. Just hope the neighbors don't live too close!

Mike

Mike Lauritsen
Cleaveland Aircraft Tool
mike (at) cleavelandtool.com
800-368-1822
www.cleavelandtool.com

clevtool said:
If you have a compressor with a pipe thread holding on the air intake filter you can plumb it with iron pipe out through the side wall. Screw the filter on outside and make a weather hood for it. We cut our shop compressor noise by about half doing this. Just hope the neighbors don't live too close!

Or 1/2" threaded plastic sprinkler pipe, if your unit doesn't get too hot. You can even build a "silencer" by routing the pipe to the bottom of a bucket full of rags. (Credit to Jim Piavis for that idea)

I don't think it cuts the noise in half, but it does seem to help.

Paul

Back