What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Bend Recon....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I took a little trip today (little by Texas standards!), and figured I share it with the group. You can view a bunch of pictures here

I'll include a few along the way to wet the appetite!

I love mountains, and I love deserts. Although my definition of REAL mountains requires terrain where many people like supplemental oxygen, I can squint and call the Big Bend area of Texas mountainous?at least compared to the flatlands of the Texas coast! It had been a number of years since I had been to the Big Bend, primarily because it is such a stinkin? long drive from Houston ? but some recent discussions of a fly-in camping trip had re-aroused my interest to the point where I had been looking at maps and charts, as well as staring at Google Earth a lot. Since I am burning the rest of last years Use-or-Lose annual leave this week, I figured that maybe the time was right to take a recon trip for myself, and check out the flying and landing possibilities. I was originally planning on making it a two-day trip, camping for the night somewhere, but the weather forecast for the second day was not promising, and the temperatures were down around freezing ? with no way to offer protection or pre-heat for the airplane - so I figured a day trip would work.

I left Houston about 0800, with WeatherMeister predicting a 2+30 trip to Alpine if I flew at 8500?. Sure enough, I pulled into Alpine (E38) with 2+28 on the clock to top up with fuel. While there are numerous airstrips (mostly marked private) down south of Alpine and Marfa, none of them have fuel, so I figured it was a good idea to fill up before exploring, The trip out to Alpine reinforced why I don?t like to drive it ? once you get beyond San Antonio, you are confronted with nothing but miles and miles of?.miles and miles! This is kind of like going to the moon ? don?t expect much but rocks and hills. The weather was good, with light winds and some thin scattered layers of clouds along the way.

Alpine airport is a nice place to stop, and while there was no one there, the self-serve pump was working, and the restrooms were open and clean. For those of us that routinely operate out of the coast, it is unusual to set the altimeter at over 4,000? while still on the runway, but the runways are long enough to compensate.

My first destination was to be Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP). This is a huge former ranch that the state has acquired, located to the west of the National Park. The state inherited the runway (paved and smooth) as well as the old ranch compound ? the ranch house, bunkhouse, stables, mechanical buildings ? everything that was there as part of a working cattle ranch. The airstrip is marked ?private?, but just give the State Park office a call before you go ? it is publicly owned, and they are happy to let you land there. The identifier is 3TE3, but don?t look for it in the Garmin or Jeppesen databases. It is on the charts, but that doesn?t make it easy to find,. In fact, the tricky thing is that when you are coming down from Alpine, you will pass one airstrip that is charted, and then, just when you expect the BBRSP strip, up pops a runway, oriented in the right direction, the right length, with a ranch compound about a half mile to the west ? as expected. Of course, it is NOT BBRSP, but another ranch located about three miles north of there. I got suckered in, walked around, but couldn?t find anybody. The only thing that didn?t match was that it was gravel instead of pavement, and I almost convinced myself it was the right place?but when I took off, I headed south a couple of miles and bingo!

Shortly after I landed at the RIGHT strip, a truck pulled up with a friendly fellow who said he was a park volunteer. He and his wife drive down from Michigan for the winter with their fifth-wheel, and help out running the place for three months. He said he was there to serve, and could he give me a tour? Well, that?s what I was there for, so I hopped in! The first stop was one of the primitive camping areas, a few hundred yards from the airstrip. Just a flat area in the desert, nothing more. Personally, I LIKE that! You could walk over there after landing if you wished.., or they?ll come over and ferry you if you prefer. Most of the park is just wide open for backpackers. Basically, it is a flat desert environment on mesas. There are some pretty rugged hills as well, but expect to walk ten or twenty miles to get to the really interesting terrain that can be seen from the air.

The next stop was the ranch compound. There are two kinds of accommodations ? the dormitory/bunkhouse, and the Ranch House. The dorm is actually quite nice, with separate areas for men and women, and in each areas, little divided cubicles with two beds each. There is a common sitting area with fireplace, and a dining area. They will provide meals on request, and I was told that breakfast was about $6, and dinners about $10. Accommodations were $25 per person per night. It sounds like they rarely have more than a few people there at any one time, although groups do come in and book the whole place for a weekend. Considering the length of drive you have to make on bad roads to get there, I think they are probably the loneliest park people in Texas?.

The ranch house is beautiful turn-of-the-century Texas ranch classic. Think any western movie you have ever seen with a rustic yet refined house, and that is it. There are three or four bedrooms, and it will sleep 8- 10 people. Food can be arranged, or you can bring your own. Beautiful dining room and sitting room. Rates are $100 per person for a night ? or, you can book the whole place for a group for $400 per night. Having paid close to $100 for a Best Western in many cities, this sounds pretty good!

The only ?problem? you have in any of the fly-in options in the Big Bend is ground transportation., There isn?t any. You fly in, you are where you are. Except?.the folks at BBRSP will arrange for guided day-long tours to the National Park. They also have day-long horse-back trips in the State Park. So if you?re kind of cheap, like me, you can just splat down and relax. But if you want to spend a little money, you can book the excursions. The price of the excursions is less than you?d pay for a rental car or jeep anyway, so it sounds like a pretty good deal. Everyone here was really friendly ? maybe it was cause they were just starved for company!

The Rest of the Story....

The other place I wanted to visit was Terlingua Ranch. It is on the charts as a public airstrip (1E2), and is in the databases. Basically, this is a desert ranch development ? they are selling land parcels, and you can see little cabins and such spread out in the area. When I exchanged emails with the office, they indicated that all are welcome, they have a lodge, RV camping, and tent camping, but that hiking is limited because most of the land is private. (Don?t trespass in Texas - the law favors the landowner and his firearm!) The runway is gravel, and had been freshly graded, so there were no ruts. The gravel tends to be on the large size, however, and I was a little worried about landing with my little 500x5 tires and close-fitting wheel pants. I did it without any damage, but sure didn?t like the sounds I was hearing. I felt like, if you did it enough, you?d eventually tear something up ? but I might be wrong. You land to the southwest, and take off to the northeast, even if the wind isn?t favorable, because it slopes up to the southwest. I made a low pass to check out the runway before landing, and sure enough, it REALLY slopes up in that direction ? I was glad I was flying a powerful RV! The parking area is just more gravel with scrub. I walked around and visited - nice folks. Everything looks a bit as you would expect out in the desert ? sort of worn out. They have little cabin/hotel rooms, and a lodge, as well as RV parking (the four-wheeled kind). Not much to speak of ? just flat spots in the gravel. They have a small tent camping area, and charge $5 per night ? a bargain. However, there isn?t much there, except a pool, which is closed this time of year. It would be a good overnight stop, but again ? no ground transport available, so it would be tough to get to the National Park.

The best part of the day had to be just flying around the area ? the scenery from the air is spectacular! Between the BBRSP and Terlingua, there is an ancient volcanic dome which welled up and then collapsed in the middle. You can see this ten-mile-wide structure on satellite photos, or if you get high enough overhead in the airplane. The edge, or rim, is really cool, once you realize what you are looking at. The vistas are wonderful ? sure, there are many better places out farther west, but for a couple hours flying time, this is pretty good. There is something that appeals to me about this kind of wide open desolation ? not sure what it is. And seeing it from the air just opens up the whole scope. The canyons carved by the Rio Grande are impressive, as are the countless tributary canyons that scar the land. I think that a nice trip would include camping or staying in the accommodations at BBRSP, then doing some touring from the air as well. When I consider that I flew out there, bummed around the desert for four or five hours, and made it home for supper, it is pretty hard to beat doing the trip by RV!

If I wasn?t worried about leaving the airplane outside in sub-twenty-degree temps overnight, I might have stayed for a day or two, but I didn?t want to worry about getting her started again in the morning ? and there will be opportunities to visit with friends in the near future, I?m sure. I?m thinking that we need to do a group RV visit in February or March! Definitely before the summer starts ? which is probably late March in this part of the world?.

The trip home was another one of those times when I just couldn?t stop grinning. On top of a thin and broken overcast at 9500? most of the way, it was smooth and I had a tailwind (again, just like WeatherMeister said I would)! The flat tops of the layer came up to meet me after I passed San Antonio, and I felt like I was skimming across a wonderful foamy sea. I looked in my rear view mirrors and got a tremendous feeling of speed, with the clouds sliding behind me?.and with the sun low at my rear quarter, I had a beautiful Sun Dog around my shadow up ahead. Then the moon began to rise, directly above the Sun Dog?.and it was just too beautiful. And beyond my capability to photograph. Oh, what Doug could have done with that setup!

Six and a half hours of flight time, twelve hours of roaming around Texas. Wow! Most people take a day each way to drive to and from the Big Bend! If I had just kept going straight west, I would have made California in no time?.but it?s nice to be back here at home, wondering if the day was just a dream!

Paul

Last edited:
Pictures

Looking south into the Big Bend:

img0501ha1.jpg

Typical terrain on the way to BBRSP:

img0514up1.jpg

Valkyrie in the High Desert:

img0524kb0.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more....

Big Bend Ranch State Park Runway and Compound:

img0551sg5.jpg

Remains of ancient lava dome:

img0554iv9.jpg

Terlingua Ranch Airstip and Resort:

img0581iz9.jpg

Last edited:
Bunkhouse

The bunkhouse looks like my idea of camping..... :)

I must be getting old... :)

But the 5500 ft by 80 ft ashpalt runway sounds good, and looked good in the pics....

gil in Tucson

Great Post, Paul!

Exactly the recon we needed. Great minds think alike, I'm thinking Lake Whitney this Friday and then BBSP in February or March. The gravel runway at Terlingua sounds a little dicey?

Paul,

Great post!! One of my favorite places to get away!! If you plan BBSP in a couple of months I am in!!

Cheers,

Dave B.
RV9a/ECI 0360/James cowl/Catto Prop--100 hrs and a permanent smile!!

Dang feds had the day off yesterday to go putz around West Texas meanwhile us peon contractors are at work keeping the space program going.

(sigh) :(

Its a heavy burden but somebody has to abide.

Karl

Paul,

Great write up.. I love West Texas when the purple sage is in bloom and sounds of coyotes in the air. That is one of the reasons for me starting to build my-8. And as far as nothing west of San Antonio. Why there is TS36 my future retirement home. As far as ground transportion when you get there, For those of you that have never been to the area you should really go and expierence it. I have driven via motorcycles and jeeps all over the Big Bend NP area, although I have not been up into the state park. I have driven the river road from Lajitas to Prasidio, this goes through the bottom of the state park, great motorcycle road.. But the most fun for me is sitting around the camp at night looking at the stars. So the thought of looking at the weather channel and seeing some clear day forcasts, jumping into a time machine that will get there in time to set up camp, then back home the next day is what motivates me to start pounding the rivets.

In your post you stated:
"I was a little worried about landing with my little 500x5 tires and close-fitting wheel pants. I did it without any damage, but sure didn?t like the sounds I was hearing. I felt like, if you did it enough, you?d eventually tear something up"

I have not thought about it yet, because I am probably 1 to 2 years away from the point, but your post has me wondering. Could you have a second set of wheel pants made for gravel strips. I guess they could have a little higher ground clearence. Could there be a compromise between the ones you have on now and no pants. In my 68 Cardinal the older pants are up mid wheel and I have landed with them on some rough strips with out damage to the wheel pants. When Landing on gravel with out the pants I have put dings in the HS causing some paint chips. The pants sound worse but they protect the airframe, and not alow the gravel to hit the HS. Anyways I was just wondering.

c177tx said:
Could you have a second set of wheel pants made for gravel strips. I guess they could have a little higher ground clearence. Could there be a compromise between the ones you have on now and no pants. In my 68 Cardinal the older pants are up mid wheel and I have landed with them on some rough strips with out damage to the wheel pants. When Landing on gravel with out the pants I have put dings in the HS causing some paint chips. The pants sound worse but they protect the airframe, and not alow the gravel to hit the HS. Anyways I was just wondering.

That's an interesting idea. I was thinking about taking the pants off all-together for a trip where I knew I was going someplace rough, but would hate to face a 15 knot speed loss, and hadn't thought about the protection they pants give the rest of the plane. But a special set of pants is an intriguing idea....changing pants would only take 20 minutes. Now if we were designing a "rough runway" set of wheel pants, what would they be? Interesting question!

Thank you from a young (24) builder-to-be. I'm usually more of a lurker, but reading about your day of flying just put a smile on my face. I can't wait to be able to go out and poke around the country like that. Sounds like you Texas guys/gals will have a fun fly-out in the relatively near future. Thanks again, it was a great write-up.

Big Bend

Paul: Thank you for a great report. I live in FAR
west Texas, and have enjoyed the Big Bend with my Skywagon for many years. I would like to add that a canoe expedition through the Santa Elena canyon would be a worthwhile consideration. The vertical walls of the canyon are breathtaking, and there is great "birding" (as the experts say). Outfitters are based out of Lajitas. Unfortunately, the town has been "upgraded" to some type of resort, so we can no longer land in town and taxi to the local filling station for fuel, nor carouse in the local lounge. However, the Starlight saloon is not too far away, and really great talent (Pilots and their family from the 180-185 crowd) play there on occasion. I have always pegged my fun meter to the max there, and would love to join you when you go, if you can accept a non RV. Please let me know when you set up a trip.
Tom Navar
RV8 QB in process
1955 C-180
Pitts S2A

Paul,

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your accounts of the adventures you are experiencing in your RV. Like most it?s partly because it lets those of us who are grounded due to unfinished aircraft to almost ride back seat with you but for me personally its more because I believe you are using it for its originally intended purpose?..to explore new frontiers (I know how this sounds and I?m really not a Trekkie) but I can?t wait until I can finish my plane and join you guys on some of these really neat trips.

When I lived in Texas I really enjoyed flying over the palo duro canyon south of Amarillo.

Excellent post. That's an area I also would like to see more of from the air and ground.

Re. the gravel, I would worry more about dings in the empennage. Wonder if you could add some kind of clamp on deflectors or mud flap type things to keep the rocks from flying upward.

Special wheel pants

Ironflight said:
That's an interesting idea. I was thinking about taking the pants off all-together for a trip where I knew I was going someplace rough, but would hate to face a 15 knot speed loss, and hadn't thought about the protection they pants give the rest of the plane. But a special set of pants is an intriguing idea....changing pants would only take 20 minutes. Now if we were designing a "rough runway" set of wheel pants, what would they be? Interesting question!

How about "rough strip" wheel pants with more ground clearance, some sort of deflector to keep the gravel flung somewhat down away from the horizontal and aft fuselage belly... paint with cheap paint and cover the bottom with several coats of brushed on PlastiDip?

56.png

gil in Tucson

Great Report

Paul,
As always, I enjoyed reading your reports of adventure in your RV-8. The writeups and photos really are motivating.

Two items of interest...
What camera are you using? The photos look fantastic.

I notice you are using "use or lose" annual leave. In case you haven't heard, Tuesday was a holiday for federal employees due to President Ford's death, so if you are cutting it close on your "U/L" you may have lost 8 hours. I hope not.

Don
Another government guy :) ...who does not have "U/L." :(

rv7boy said:
Two items of interest...
What camera are you using? The photos look fantastic.

I notice you are using "use or lose" annual leave. In case you haven't heard, Tuesday was a holiday for federal employees due to President Ford's death, so if you are cutting it close on your "U/L" you may have lost 8 hours. I hope not.

Don
Another government guy :) ...who does not have "U/L." :(

I shoot all those pictures with a tiny little SD400 Powershot - perfect size for throuwing in a pocket. I let Picassa do it's magic fixing up the images. Nothign as good as Doug can do...but good for snapshots in the cockpit!

Use-or-lose...I actually cut it close, and was going to have to work one day this week to make it all even out - then we got the surprise holiday!

Back to the rocket ranch on Monday....

Paul

Ironflight said:
I shoot all those pictures with a tiny little SD400 Powershot - perfect size for throuwing in a pocket.
I have a newer SD800, and it is a great airplane camera. The 800 has the image stabilizer, which removes a lot of the blur.

the_other_dougreeves said:
I have a newer SD800, and it is a great airplane camera. The 800 has the image stabilizer, which removes a lot of the blur.

See, as soon as I bring something home from Best Buy and open the box, it's already obsolete.... :p

Rough field pants?

Not trying to hijack the thread,
But since you mentioned it, do we need a new thread to talk about utility pants (bikinis?)? I've had to rebuild my pressure recovery pants too many times, so I've been just flying barefooted for a couple of years. My home field is dirt/gravel/rock/boulder. I keep covering up the empennage dings with leading edge tape, and hammering out the worst every once in a while. I'm not smart enough to design my own, but I'd sure like to piggyback on the collective genius of the list...

Miller McPherson
N3657X RV-6 800+ hours

Cascabel, AZ

Good Idea Miller!

I'll start a new thread - might make it more visible to folks - I'd like to hear your experiences Miller - get us started!

Paul

Big Bend February Trip

Hey Paul,

I was unable to post a reply in the video section, but YES! I plan to join you in February. I would love to shoot some video of RV's in the Park - perhaps even some air-to-air shots if you can slow down long enough to stay in my viewfinder. Please feel free to contact me off-list to assist with arrangements, etc.; contact info on our website.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, Texas
www.flybigbend.com

Back