What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA $500 ADS-B rebates starting

So what does that mean for active builders? My take is that it doesn't appear to apply unfortunately.

Aircraft must be registered before 1/1/2016.

And all of us tax payers get to fund it to the tune of $10 mil+!

Last edited:
Nice try FAA

Considering the current costs to equip my Cessna, 500 bucks isn't going to make me run to the avionics shop anytime soon.

interpretation

I am unclear...does this say that we experimental owners can install our own certified units, and qualify for the rebate?

Certified in experimental ok?

Looking at the rules: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/media/Program_Rules_612016.pdf it sure seems like if you install one of the certified units in an RV that was registered by the proper date you would qualify for the rebate.

I have a question into NavWorx to see if the ADS600-EXP will count. I kind of think it will not after looking on the FAA website list of units. They only listed the ADS600-B. Given the price differential between the two units, it will still make more sense to go with something like the ADS600-EXP. Will let you know what I find out.

Geoff

I am unclear...does this say that we experimental owners can install our own certified units, and qualify for the rebate?

The rule states "authorized installer". Anybody is authorized to install equipment in an experimental aircraft. So I read that to mean if you install a qualifying unit in to an experimental aircraft it qualifies for the rebate. Now TESTING it to confirm it meets regulations (ex. a qualifying transponder) is a separate issue. YMMV
:cool:

Why not? From the .pdf posted above, it states you have to reserve before install. No one has been able to clarify 'self installation' vs going to a shop, but I wouldn't count yourself out just yet...

Program Steps & Timeline
The program will include the following steps and timeline:
[1] Decide: The Owner arranges for purchase and schedules installation of TSO-certified avionics for an
Eligible Aircraft.
[2] Reserve: Before avionics installation occurs, the Aircraft Owner must submit a Rebate Reservation
via a website. Upon successful submission, an email will be sent to the submitter with a Rebate
Reservation Code. During the rebate reservation process, the Eligible Aircraft’s information is validated
against the Civil Aircraft Registry (CAR), including ownership information. If there are discrepancies,
the Aircraft Owner may continue with the reservation process; but before a valid Incentive Code can be
obtained in step [5], the Aircraft Owner must insure that the CAR data for their Eligible Aircraft is
corrected. See Notes A and B.
NOTE: The CAR is updated weekly, typically the first business day of the week; any updates to the
CAR in a given week will typically not be available until the following week.
[3] Install: TSO-certified ADS-B avionics are installed in the Eligible Aircraft.
[4] Fly & Validate: Only after the prior steps are completed, the Eligible Aircraft is flown in the airspace
defined in 14 CFR §91.225 (see Note C for an exception to this) for at least 30 minutes, with at least 10
aggregate minutes of maneuvering flight, per the guidance in AC 20-165B After flight, a PCR and GAIRS
report is obtained to validate performance of the Eligible Aircraft’s ADS-B installation. Note that it may
be necessary to repeat this step more than once, until the GAIRS report indicates PASS for all fields and
provides an Incentive Code in the Rebate Status section.
[5] Claim: Within 60 days of the scheduled installation date, the Aircraft Owner gathers their Rebate
Reservation Code (from step [2]) and their Incentive Code (from step [4]) and navigates to the ADS-B
Rebate website to claim their rebate. After FAA validates a Rebate Claim, the rebate check will be mailed
to the Aircraft Owner as listed in the FAA Civil Aircraft Registry. Only one Rebate Claim per Aircraft
Owner will be paid.

Why not? From the .pdf posted above, it states you have to reserve before install. No one has been able to clarify 'self installation' vs going to a shop, but I wouldn't count yourself out just yet...

Exactly.

File for your reservation code, for an experimental aircraft you are an authorized installer so install it yourself, it is a new transponder so you have to get the installation checked for correct code/altitude/power outupt, fly with the unit operating to get an FAA compliance report then request the rebate.

Last edited:
Also, if you look at the approved equipment list that the FAA's has currently put together, Garmin's GTX-23 is listed... That equipment is specifically designed to work with the G3X... specifically for the EAB market.

So someone at the FAA must have taken into consideration EAB aircraft when putting the program and the list together. Details apparently are not yet available which would identify how equipment installed in an EAB aircraft can qualify for the rebate...

Hopefully we'll soon see what the FAA has in mind for this rebate and our aircraft.

This might be some incentive deal they are doing thinking there's going be lots of owners that are not going to install ADS-B and see what happens at the deadline, just like 408 ELT's. Tossing $10M of tax payers money into the mix may get some to jump at it.

Also, if you look at the approved equipment list that the FAA's has currently put together, Garmin's GTX-23 is listed... That equipment is specifically designed to work with the G3X... specifically for the EAB market.

So someone at the FAA must have taken into consideration EAB aircraft when putting the program and the list together. Details apparently are not yet available which would identify how equipment installed in an EAB aircraft can qualify for the rebate...

Hopefully we'll soon see what the FAA has in mind for this rebate and our aircraft.

Also by using the term "authorized installer" instead of "certificated repair station" they were taking EAB into consideration.

Last edited:
Exactly.

File for your reservation code, for an experimental aircraft you are an authorized installer so install it yourself, it is a new transponder so you have to get the installation checked for correct code/altitude/power outupt, fly with the unit operating to get an FAA compliance report then request the rebate.

The FAA is not accepting reservation yet. It appears they won't do so until September 2016. All that's available now is notification of their intent to rebate $500 for ADS-B installation.

The hoops to jump through (requirements) to get the $500 are considerable starting with installation within 90 days of reservation. The reservation web site will not be up and running until September and will accept approximately 20,000 reservations. After that there will be no more.

The equipment must be certified. Probably the best way to start is to get equipment ordered so it will be on hand for install during the 90 day window. And if there is a delay, do not register until equipment can be installed within the 90 day window. Of course in the mean time, thousands of other purchasers will registering so in the end, the program will help only 20,000 of the hundreds of thousands of aircraft owners out there.

I am not impressed.

Back