What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo Storage

PilotRPI

What do you use to store your Akzo? Any special lids for the one gallon cans, or do you just hammer the original lid on each time? With all the priming that has to be done, one of the easy closure ones with a spout may make more sense.

Also do you need to stir it before using? I see some fancy lids have stirrers built in as well.

Thanks!

Storage

What do you use to store your Akzo? Any special lids for the one gallon cans, or do you just hammer the original lid on each time? With all the priming that has to be done, one of the easy closure ones with a spout may make more sense.

Also do you need to stir it before using? I see some fancy lids have stirrers built in as well.

Thanks!

I don't use Akzo but storage applies to other products.
I may by weird. Primer is opened then stirred with a paint stick. A tongue depressor is used to scrape the primer off the paint stick then placed in the paint cup. Primer is measured with syringe into the paint cup. Primer container immediately closed with a few light taps of a hammer. Mix primer and clean up. The only waste is the primer left on the tongue depressor after stirring the paint cup and what remains in the paint cup. Almost none. Estimates are made prior to mixing based on previous jobs in sq/ft per oz of mixed product. I toss very little primer or paint.

Fancy Lid for Part A

I used one of the lids with the built in stir paddle. It did an excellent job of keeping the paint sealed when not in used. It also worked very well pouring small amounts of paint without a mess and almost no waste.

For the part B, I used a 12 oz plastic bottle that I picked up in the housewares section of Walmart. I'd fill that up rather than prying open the paint can every time.

Back