What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Governors (which do you prefer?)

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
I'd like some opinons and comments on the brands of prop governors you are using on your RV. (MT, Woodward, McCauley, Jihostrov, or the PCU5000x.)

I'm considering a PCU5000x, but since they are fairly new, I was wondering if anyone is using one (for how long) and if they are satisfied with it and has it been reliable. Also, how good is the service and support from the company ?

If you stand behind any of the other brands, please let me know why, and what your reason was for choosing it.

Got zero responses from the above post, and just wanted to check again if anyone has a recomendation on prop governors listed above.

I have the McCauley that I got from Van's in the FWF kit. It drives a Hartzell on my 0-360 A1A just fine. I have no other experience with C/S props or governors.

Roberta

Wicked Stick said:
I'd like some opinons and comments on the brands of prop governors you are using on your RV. (MT, Woodward, McCauley, Jihostrov, or the PCU5000x.)

I'm considering a PCU5000x, but since they are fairly new, I was wondering if anyone is using one (for how long) and if they are satisfied with it and has it been reliable. Also, how good is the service and support from the company ?

If you stand behind any of the other brands, please let me know why, and what your reason was for choosing it.
In the short time that I have experience with the PCU5000, I've been very impressed. This little governor is quick & reponsive, easy to install and fits pretty much anywhere (No firewall issues on most planes). I've installed a couple on certified airplanes and have been very impressed. The governor is one of those items that I feel should be certified even on experimentals, and the PCU5000 is. I'd additionally recommend you stay away from Hartzell and McCauley, these are old designs taht have issues, and parts are really expensive. The Woodwards are an old design as well, but seem to be a BETTER old design that have fewer issues. So if one was cheap, I might consider that, but th PCU5000 is hard to beat.

Woodward hands down, but others will do

Woodward is the gold standard, Cadillac if you will. Van's use to sell them new for a reasonable price but than the price shot of sight. Van than went to several other brands and eventually now the foreign Jobie's. Here is a contact:

Wings West Governor Exchange & Overhaul, Inc,
253-848-3188, 206-848-3189, PO Box 1533, Graham, WA, 98338.​

My obvious choice is Woodward; A rebuilt (experimental) unit outright is going to cost near but less than a new Jihostrov? Depending on model, yellow tag or not, the price I got a few years ago was $700-$1200.

Being a cheap bargain hunter I found an overhauled 210105 Woodward for $400, yellow tagged. A big prop shop/overhaul facility in OK or KS was selling off its inventory in trade-A-plane. I knew what part# I wanted. I was looking on eBay, trade-A-plane and several prop shops around the country for several months. I focused on a select set of model numbers.

The 210105 is the oldest of the Woodward's that I would use. There are other's, some older and some newer I would stay a way from (see below). The 210105 is off a vintage 60's/70's Lyc O-360 powered Mooney's and Lake's. There have been mods and updates to the unit over the years. The newer Gov's like a 2107xx cost more. New outright they are ridiculous $$. Van had new Woodward's for $1200 years ago but the price was raised and Van dropped them and went to McCauley, than now Jihostrov. Woodward was bought by ONTIC a few years ago.

Nothing wrong with the 210105; it has a smaller pilot valve and suppose to not act as fast as later models? Never noticed doing loops, the RPM is locked in on rails. A older 210105 will be less money than new 210776. They all do the same thing, keep RPM constant as set. I don't care just as long as it works. It does.

WARNING: Be very careful about buying a used Gov core. The warning is don't pay too much for a core. You should assume it needs an overhaul despite the story behind it. Like used engines (mid-time, ready to fly, only driven on Sunday's by a little old lady pilot), used governors regardless of time or appearance should get a rebuild or a teardown/inspection check, unless you really know the history. Seals get old and so on. Just an inspection and seals still will cost many $100's. You can take a chance and just put it on and hope. You may luck out?

The cost to rebuild a Gov can cost different amounts, depending on parts needed; just like an engine, a bad crank will cost way more than a core with a good crank. Parts are expensive and you don't know what it needs until it's opened up.

Also one last thing about old Gov's. An old Gov on a new engine has direct access to the engines oil supply. You don't know what's in that old Gov. If parts come undone you can have problems. There is a screen gasket, but I would be careful with old govs. Some junk I have seen on eBay looks like it came out of a swamp. At least have it bench tested at a shop to make sure it makes pressure and does not leak.

Recommended shelf life of a Gov after OH is about 5 years I recall. Also AD's, service letters and bulletins may need to be done. So be careful buying overhauled Govs which have been sitting around for a long time. I saw two on ebay and they where pretty, but they where overhauled 25 years earlier! :eek: He wanted too much for them. Good deal? Who knows but its like an engine that was overhauled 25 years ago and put into a baggie and sat. Is the engine still good?

A typical Woodward overhaul? $600-$900 last I checked. So if your core cost $400 and it needs a $900 overhaul, that is $1300. That's not a terrible cost, but it will not be a bargain. You probably would have been better to just go to a place like Wings West Governor Exchange & Overhaul, Inc. They sell govs for less than what it cost to buy a core and get it overhauled on your own. They buy cores and overhaul them to sell out right to the homebuilders. If they get a bad core, one that needs too much work, they just part it out. Give them a call and talk to them. It has been a year or so, but I am sure they can help you. Nice people and they know what is going on, know homebuilders and what you need and what to avoid.

The Jihostroj (which I thought was synonymous with MT) are reasonably price new and they are the lightest. The down side seems to be consistent complaints from time to time about surges and other operational anomalies and characteristics. Apparently there have been mods and improvements to address specific complaints. The other is from prop shops I have talked to. They don't like working on them. They find they are often worn out and need to be replaced (ie cheaper to buy a new one the overhaul). Is that bad? Well if you can get 2000 hours and replacement is about what a Woodward overhaul is than it may not be bad. Many people will not put 2000 hours on a plane in +10 years or more? They are pretty and a viable option. I just prefer a used/OH Woodward.

The Hartzell and McCauley are less popular out in the world, Hartzell more so. Harzell Gov's, at least for small planes are a stagnant line, meaning they don't make new ones and they never where popular. However if you find a good one cheap I think its model F4-4(?). Hartzells I recall are the most chunky and heavy of the Govs. McCauley are OK but don't know much about them except they work. Again Woodward is the Caddy of govs.

Here is some data I got or research a few years ago, can't guarantee applicability to your engine, but its a starting place.

WOODWARD NUMBERS
210105 (I bought and using)
210776 Van's once sold
210681 or 210490 (possible)
210452 recommended staying away known to be unstable.
210080 (would not recommend any thing less than 210105)
210076 (would not recommend any thing less than 210105)
210195 (converted for single engine use)

Hartzell Gov: F4-4

Another possible gov source: Prop Gov from Southwest Aero, in WA state, 206-575-8732 (not sure may be out of biz, had it written down) -OR- check you local prop shop to see what they have. They may have an old Gov laying around to overhaul and sell you at a reasonable price ($700-$1000). As always be careful of the Spray Paint Can overhaul.

Last edited:
MT Prop Gov

Using MT prop gov with Hartzell CS prop, O-320D2B for 150hrs + and 3 yrs now. Trouble free, easy install, good docs.

Been running a Woodward that I purchased NEW from Van over 10 years ago. No problems after 9 years of flying and 1,976 hobbs hours.

I am planning a September 2007 engine top rebuild or engine replacement. I will overhaul the Woodward (or replace) with the prop but PCU5000 would be what I would buy if buying new.

George,
We have a Harzell F3-1 on our O-360 A1A. Nothing but trouble finding parts... and expensive. :(. Looks like you know your Woodwards, almost 'upgraded' to one of those on the Cardinal after the last run-around by Santa Monica Prop.

PCU5000X in a RV7

osxuser said:
In the short time that I have experience with the PCU5000, I've been very impressed. This little governor is quick & reponsive, easy to install and fits pretty much anywhere (No firewall issues on most planes). I've installed a couple on certified airplanes and have been very impressed. The governor is one of those items that I feel should be certified even on experimentals, and the PCU5000 is. I'd additionally recommend you stay away from Hartzell and McCauley, these are old designs taht have issues, and parts are really expensive. The Woodwards are an old design as well, but seem to be a BETTER old design that have fewer issues. So if one was cheap, I might consider that, but th PCU5000 is hard to beat.

Hi,
After looking at www.pcu5000.com the application chart for the PCU5000X
the part number for an RV8 IO-360 is P-520-036/A but there isn't any reference to the Vans RV7 :confused: I suppose should be the same as RV8, but????

Anybody knows why the RV7 is not there? as my engine will be the IO-360 the part number should be P-520-036/A, shouldn't???

thanks,

I'm not flying my RV yet but a person I know who has VAST experience with lots of prop governors says the PCU 5000x is currently the way to go. Not the cheapest...but the best technology and certificated. That's what I'll be using.

Thanks to everyone who posted their comments and experiences on prop governors.

I think I will give the PCU5000 a go and see how it pans out for me.
I can't see going used and spending close to a new price after overhaul.

Since I've got a new plane, new engine, and new prop.. I might as well go new gov.

Back