What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle Washington Transition

Brettc

Hello,
This is my second time posting on here, I'm beginning to get a little nervous. I've submitted a lot of applications (30+) and have only received one phone call for a possible interview so far. I've just finished an enlistment in the Air Force and I think I have a lot to offer. If anybody has a lead at one of the larger aviation facilities in the Seattle, Washington area, please let me know! I am looking for a career as an aerospace analyst, technician, field service rep, aviation safety inspector, etc. My credentials are below. I can also send my resume to anyone who wants to review it. Thanks!

8 years of experience as an Aerospace Propulsion Craftsman, USAF
FAA A&P Certificate
B.S., Aeronautics
A.A.S., Aviation Maintenance Technology

Bret,

Your situation is very similar to mine when I got out of the Air Farce back in 1994. I was underwhelmed by the results I got to job applications all over the country.

Most likely, you are not going to find the kind of position you are looking for right off the bat. You will most likely have to pick an area, pick a company and just take whatever job you can to get in the door. Once in, finding out where the more interesting jobs are and getting into them becomes a little easier.

I started as a mechanic in the hydraulic shop and have worked my way into a program manager position doing many of the things you list. It took a long time and the path was not very clear, but I just kept at it and tried to do the best I could at whatever I did.

Most of the larger companies only accept applications/resumes online in response to a particular job posting. There are probably Boeing people here that can tell you about that, but below is a link to our company's job postings.

http://www.atsmro.com/careers/

Good luck

P.S. Don't move here, it rains all the time and the traffic sucks. :)

Steve,
Thanks for the reply! I know I'll be taking a bit of a pay cut to start. The call I got was for an A&P slot. Hopefully I'll get an interview this week with the company (ABX). I'm completely ok with that, so I've expanded my search area to all things even slightly related to my qualifications. Thanks for the link!

Thanks Philip. I've already applied to that job (and four other Boeing positions). I'll be in Seattle Wednesday, something will turn up.

Back