What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RAF

N941WR

Legacy Member
This past week I had the honor of being invited to spend three days attending the Recreational Aviation Foundation?s (RAF) biannual planning meeting.

The RAF is a rather young aviation organization, when compared to AOPA or the EAA; however, I assure you, they have your best interests at heart and their goals are complementary to those other organizations.

The RAF got their start by securing landing rights at backcountry airstrips so their members could go camping, hiking, fishing, etc. Although many thank of them as those crazy men and women who land big tired bush planes on some mountain top, I assure you, that is not what they are about. Their goal is to expand the recreational use of general aviation. (I have been to events with Cessna 172?s, Bonanzas, my little tired RV, and those big tired bush planes.)

The RAF has spearheaded the change of laws in 23 states which eliminate the liability of private land owners, should a pilot ball up their airplane on the owner?s land. As you can imagine, that was no easy feat! In addition, the RAF is working with our representatives in Washington to recognize ?camping? as a valid aviation activity. That is no easy task.

The RAF volunteers are working with the US Forest Service and Burro of Land Management (BLM) to secure landing rights on federal land and has partnered with those agencies to help maintain existing landing sites that can be used for recreational activities as well as forest protection tasks (firefighting, hiker support, etc.)

In short, the RAF is working to protect recreational activity such as hiking, camping, fishing, and much more. In addition, you must remember, by flying into a remote strip, a pilot?s impact on the environment is much less than that of a person taking an ATV, horse, or even hiking on foot to the same destination. The RAF has developed a code of conduct for recreational fliers that reduces their noise footprint, safety training, and more.

If you have never landed on grass and/or have thought you might like to combine aviation with your other outdoor activities, the RAF is for you. If you have thought about protecting existing landing sites, the RAF is for you. If you enjoy landing at unique places and meeting great people, the RAF is for you!

Please take a minute to look at The RAF. If you like what you see, please join, http://theraf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=2.

I'll offer a second to Bill's motion to support the RAF. With my family, I've flown into and camped at dozens of backcountry airstrips. These have been some of the most memorable and rewarding experiences of my life, but early on I realized the need for the aviation community to act in an organized and concerted manner to maintain access to these airstrips, and I've been a member and supporter of the RAF for more than a decade now. The RAF distinguishes itself by its positive, collaborative approach, and its effectiveness. They have an impressive list of success stories in their short history. And their caps are cool too!

Tied down, West Yellowstone.

IMG_0777_zpsf2f991c4.jpg

RAF

I am a supporting member of the RAF. Carol and I have been camping with our EXP Super Cub 'Shooter' for 12 happy years of ownership.
The back country is calling,,,, I must go.

Back