What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance time....whose out for business?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
so I had my policy for the last few years with COPA, once Marsh, now Magnes, which confused me when looking for old e-mails!

I insure my RV-9a for Hull-in-motion, $90,000, tied-down outside at YLW, fly about 10 hours a year or so, and pay about $1850. COPA had the disappearing deductible for claims over $1000 if I recall. ( who the heck is gonna make an $800 claim and pay a $500 deductible, and have their rates go up next year?)

So strangely I was solicited by Marsh, who must have had me in their old database. Their price was within $50 for what looked like the same coverage.
$2 million combined liability and passenger, same hull $$$ etc.

The I got a call from Air 1. Used them when I first bought the plane, and they had the best rate, and really broad coverage for me to get recurrent on my own plane, nobody else seemed to cover that!

so this year they beat the other guys by several hundred $$.

your rates may vary, just saying, it was nice to get a personal call from the president of the firm, and ask me what it would take to get my business. They were also interested should I change rides to cover the new plane, ferry flights, etc.!

My ultimate insurance fantasy? when they don't just send you the blank form again, when they have all your information, except one box.
" total hours on type last year".

why do i have to fill out my name and phone number every time?
sheesh...you'd think they were the Royal Bank, where I've been dealing for 50 years, and they hand me a blank form.... every frekin time I go in there to give them more of my money.

am I gettin old and cranky? :rolleyes:

..snip...

...0,000, tied-down outside at YLW, fly about 10 hours a year or so, and pay about $1850.

.... snip snip...

just saying, it was nice to get a personal call from the president of the firm, and ask me what it would take to get my business.

... snip snip snip...

10 hours a year?!! I put about that on the hobbs today and no president never called me. You are not old and cranky Perry you just don't want to sell :D

Long Trip

So - did Vlad fly down to Atlanta from NJ and back today? The lunch WAS pretty good . . . . . . . .

10 hours a year?!! I put about that on the hobbs today and no president never called me. You are not old and cranky Perry you just don't want to sell :D

so I had my policy for the last few years with COPA, once Marsh, now Magnes, which confused me when looking for old e-mails!

I insure my RV-9a for Hull-in-motion, $90,000, tied-down outside at YLW, fly about 10 hours a year or so, and pay about $1850. COPA had the disappearing deductible for claims over $1000 if I recall. ( who the heck is gonna make an $800 claim and pay a $500 deductible, and have their rates go up next year?)

So strangely I was solicited by Marsh, who must have had me in their old database. Their price was within $50 for what looked like the same coverage.
$2 million combined liability and passenger, same hull $$$ etc.

The I got a call from Air 1. Used them when I first bought the plane, and they had the best rate, and really broad coverage for me to get recurrent on my own plane, nobody else seemed to cover that!

so this year they beat the other guys by several hundred $$.

your rates may vary, just saying, it was nice to get a personal call from the president of the firm, and ask me what it would take to get my business. They were also interested should I change rides to cover the new plane, ferry flights, etc.!

My ultimate insurance fantasy? when they don't just send you the blank form again, when they have all your information, except one box.
" total hours on type last year".

why do i have to fill out my name and phone number every time?
sheesh...you'd think they were the Royal Bank, where I've been dealing for 50 years, and they hand me a blank form.... every frekin time I go in there to give them more of my money.

Of course you're getting old and cranky, but that's not the point;)

I have dealt with Air1 for a very long time, and have always been very happy with their service and their prices (you can get the EAA rates through them if you're a member, by the way). On the other hand, you still get that dreaded form to (re) fill out every stupid year from them too, but they usually populate most of the demographic info boxes for you before they send it to you. Saves some time, anyway! The other thing that I've always appreciated (and used) with them is that they will cover you immediately via a single phone call if you are in a hurry, and then get the paperwork looked after as soon as you are able. I keep thinking I should get quotes through COPA, etc, but Air1 has always done right by me so I always just end up working with them.

Back