What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd RV-10 Video Now Online

I wonder what the weight of the aircraft was for that test flight? I could see the sand bags in the passenger foot well, and I'm sure there were some in the seat. In any event, if the sand bags where approximating a "real world" passenger, 800 to 1,000 fpm is a nice climb rate on just 100 hp.

Yeah... that would be cool if it would climb at 800 - 1,000 at GTW. I wonder if they have wheel-pants or fairings on yet?

It is hard to not be impatient for info. After the first video weeks ago, and our subsequent discussion on a reported speed at a given MP... (is that knots or MPH?!) the only thing certain is that we all can only speculate for now.

Obviously we all hope it will be right at the LSA speed limits at sea level - and climb at 1,000 fpm - all at GTW! :D

Looking forward to more data from Van.

Hanging on a string...

Phyrcooler said:
*snip*
It is hard to not be impatient for info. After the first video weeks ago, and our subsequent discussion on a reported speed at a given MP... (is that knots or MPH?!) the only thing certain is that we all can only speculate for now.

Looking forward to more data from Van.

Indeed! These little tidbits of video are killing me (I'm chomping at the bit).

Whoever came up with this marketing strategy at Vans deserves a raise. :rolleyes:

I've been jonesin' for some more performance data from Vans, but with those big winter storms that rolled through recently, it's not likely they have been able to do any more testing :(

The good thing is about the weather delay at Vans, is it's giving me more time to complete the basement finishing project (which was negotiated during "peace talks" with the wife to gain approval for an aircraft project :) )

BTW- Was it ever definitively determined if it was knots or MPH?

SweetJellyDonut said:
BTW- Was it ever definitively determined if it was knots or MPH?
Not that I am aware of. As much as we would like some numbers to compare... I doubt we will get too much until they are the "official" final results. I would guess that unless Van is bumping the upper limits of LSA and he has to SLOW it down... he'll not put out anything until he has maximized performance and feels the numbers are repeatable by clients (builders).

Not sure what you are inferring by "sporty". 60 on approach isn't bad... I believe that is the recommendation for the C-152. And stall speed is going to be good - because it is mandated in the LSA standards.

If the pilot was using the general rule-of-thumb of selecting approach speeds based on 1.3 Vso, that translates into a stall speed of 46.

Not flaming Vans or the A/C just an observation. If thats in knots thats equal to my 200+mph RV3. BTW the ref to 60 was the speed at which he starts to run out of tail power for the flair. No ref to 1.3vso.
Tom

Back