What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodining services?

RayA

I'm leaning toward alodining as it doesn't add weight and seems relatively easy compared to primer. However, dealing with hexavalent chromium in my house seems like a bad idea. Has anyone looked at having their parts done for them at a metal shop and how much that would cost?

Frankly I'd rather have someone else do the messy chemical stuff, not just for my own (hopefully) cancer-free future but disposal headaches, etc.

Erin Brockovich keeps coming to mind when I think of DIYing it..

I have used a company in Greensboro several times. Websearch alodine in Greensboro and you should find it. I bring them a bunch of parts in the morning and the are ready and wrapped in paper by the early afternoon.

A few facts about Alodine

Alodine is a "conversion coating", which etches/converts the aluminum for better primer/paint adhesion. It does offer some protection in its self, but is not an equivelant finish to primer. I work with it every day at my day job, and with some gloves, and open air environment its not a crazy bad chemical. It can be applied by dipping, brushing or wiping with a rag. Importantly, water rinse and dry after application. My RV-4 is alodined and primed,inside and out, with epoxy primer thinned to a very light almost see through coat.I am a corrosion prevention "freak",so I took the extra steps.

I alodined my -4 parts prior to painting and used outside services (plating houses) for most of it. I batched parts to the largest extent possible and delivered boxes of parts to local houses. I typically paid a $75-$100 lot charge. A lot might be all the ribs for a wing, a bunch of skins, etc. I still did many random parts at home, but only when I needed the part prior to my next lot. Some shops even primed for me. When I start my next plane, I will definitely again have parts alodined and primed.

Good luck,

Back