What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna location

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I am about ready to mount my comm and Xponder antennas. These will be the only two antennas on the belly of my 9A, although later I may mount GS and MB antennas. The nav is in the wingtip. I do have steps. Any ideas on optimum location? I have a bent whip (from SteinAir) and would like to have your experiences/successes. The com radio is an XCOM760 and the Xponder a KT76A, although I don't think that should matter.

Bob Kelly, 90854

A good rule of thumb for all "whip" antennas is..No metal should be closer to the tip than the base of the antenna. In other words the tip of a 24" antenna should not be closer than 24" from any metal. Another consideration is the landing gear. For example if the antenna is between and parallel to the landing gear, your transmit pattern will be blocked somewhat to the sides. And Com and transponder antennas need to be as near vertical as possible as these signals are vertically polarized.
Mel...DAR

Back