What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Choosing tools

mototopo

Well Known Member
Hi all,
my name is Claudio and I'm from Italy. I decided to build a RV-7A and I'll place my order at Van's at the beginning of the new year. In the meanwhile, I'm looking around for tools. I read the previous posts on this forum and I think I'll buy the Avery kit that, I read, is really good.

My question is: which additional tools do I need to buy?

In Italy (and Europe) there are not so much companies where to buy aircraft tools on-line so I'll buy them in USA. For that reason I wish to buy almost everything I need with a single shipment, but I don't know exactly what I need other then the tool kit.

Any help?
Thank you and Merry Christmas!!

P.S.: How is my english? :eek:

Hi Claudio,

I'm not the expert, but I've started building, so...

You might consider a pneumatic squeezer with an adjustable set holder. You can get this from Avery, but Brown Tool might be a cheaper way to get the same thing unless Avery will match their price.

Also a DRDT-2 front end (experimentalaero.com) and build your own frame. Shipping the whole thing would be awfully expensive. If you do this you can eliminate the C-Frame from the Avery kit.

A 1" wide vertical belt sander will be handy (I have a Delta), as will a 6" bench grinder with a ScotchBrite wheel. Not sure if the Avery kit comes with the wheel.

I don't know what else, as I've found the items in the standard kit sufficient for now.

If you run into any issues with shipping overseas, let me know. One builder in Germany had some tools shipped to me and I re-shipped them to him. I'd be happy to help if needed.

Your English is quite good. Much better than my Italian, for sure :)

Last edited:
Choosing tools.

Hi Clauadio, Welcome aboard! Your English is really great, at least in your writing skills. Things that can be counted (such as "companies") would be referred to as "many" or "few", not "much".

Avery is a great starting point as they carry just about everything you'll need to build your RV-7A. I don't think it's realistic though, to think you'll get everything you'll need in one order. You need to start with your building area and get that in order with workbenches, lighting (you can't have "too much" lighting), a really good air compressor that you can live with (not too loud), storage shelves and racks for parts and assemblies, and an organized hardware bin system.
If you are like most of us, you'll also want a drill press, bandsaw, combination disc/belt sander, and a 6" bench grinder set up with soft and medium cut 3M wheels.
Most builders end up with pneumatic rivet squeezers, so just get that along with your tool order now. Get it with the adjustable ram! You'll have to get several different yokes, with the "longeron" yoke being the most important.
With Avery, you can interchange yokes with their hand squeezer. I'm sure that you'll be able to purchase drill bits and reamers locally as you need them.
As you get further along in the process, you'll need more electrical type tools.
Be prepared for the fact that the Avery $2100 builder's kit tool purchase might represent one-half or less than what you'll end up spending on tools!
Good luck, and Happy Building!

Thank you!

It is a good starting point. I have no problem with belt sanders, bench drill press, hand held electric tools, etc. due the fact it's my business. It's more difficult to find out imperial size hardware (drill bits, reamers, rivets etc.) as well as pneumatic tools like squeezers or rivet guns (it's very strange but I have still not found anyone selling them in Italy) and aircraft-specific tools.

So, I'll buy the Avery tool kit, the pneumatic squeezer and the DRDT-2 front end that it's already in my wish list.

I'm sure this will be a really exciting project!

P.S.: I know, I have a few problems with english, but you have a little problem with my name! :D ....Caludio...Clauadio... :D

Last edited:
Thank's Ron,

I already contacted Luigi a few days ago but still no answer. Maybe he's out for Christmas holiday.

mototopo said:
I'll place my order at Van's at the beginning of the new year.
In case you just make order few days after next year, I would consider twice. 1st January Van's new prices will take affect so if you do your order already this year, you get them with 2006 prices. Have you ever seen prices dropping? So don't wait unless you decided to wait longer than few days (ie. months)...

Also Avery has Xmas sales so get benefit of it and buy now. Next bigger sale for them will be around Sun'n'Fun which will be on mid April.

My question is: which additional tools do I need to buy?
You really can do the plane with small number of tools and they can be crappy, but if you want make it a pleasure, spent some more. I did my budget for 2000? but I'm closer to 3000? already and I don't have big fancy tools like bandsaw, big compressor etc. However I haven't regret I took my tools from Avery as they have been best tools I've ever bought and I never ever haven't paid so much from the tools either.

I've so far done horizontal stabiliser and vertical stabiliser so I may not be the best person to tell what you'll need. However I did asked same question here last Spring so now I can share some thoughts.

For normal Avery tool kit I took next additions and I've used all of them already (numbers are for Avery SKUs. You can use them for the search):

NO-HOLE / THIN NOSE SQUEEZER YOKES (7760)
LONGERON YOKES (7755)

Maker riveting much easier.

CLECO PLIERS (200)

I do use both hands and pair of pliers when un-clecoing bigger things. Or if you have assitance, you can give another pair for him/her.

Fractional Drills - 3/32 (3/32)
Fractional Drills - 1/8 (1/8)

For drilling out bad rivets.

#30 CHUCKING REAMERS FOR PRE-PUNCHED HOLES (15375)
#40 CHUCKING REAMERS FOR PRE-PUNCHED HOLES (15370)

Somehow finalizing holes with these is just different. I feel like with these it's harder to make holes too big. As if you keep normal drill in the hole too long, it keeps getting bigger and bigger easier...

SPRING TENSION CLAMP (2500)

Another way to clamp things. Fit for different places than clamps coming with the kit. Other bigger clamps to keep structures in table and such you can get from local stores.

BOELUBE ? DRY LUBRICANT (1003)

Not much to say. I think I would prefer liquid lubricant because you easier see where you put it and see that it's still there doing it's job. However this ain't messy as liquid version of same stuff might be.

?MINI? MICRO STOP COUNTERSINK CAGE (19361)

Another microstop for another size of rivets. So no need to change setting of the micro stop all the time.

HEX ADAPTER with 1050 cutter (59010)

I've electric screwdriver where this fits. You'll have plenty of holes you need to deburr.

KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK (20147)

This is also one of tools you really don't need but makes life easier. However if you want this, choose air drill WITH one. Now I've old chuck from the drill and it's useless... so getting air drill with keyless chuck is of course cheaper than taking air drill + keyless chuck.

Some of the stuff from the kit you can get easily from normal tool stores. Avery tools are high quality but if you wish to save something, you can leave something out from the kit and get them local stores like wiss snipes, files, mallet etc.

However now that I've build futher there are something I'm missing and likely going to order soon:

STEEL MANDREL FOR SCOTCH-BRITE WHEELS (934)

I wasn't able to find this size holder for the SB wheel easily so I would take it just in case...

"SNAP-SOC" RIVET SET CAPS (4514)

Yeah... when riveting alone, this is cheap way to give some extra protection for your work.

ECONOMY DIMPLE DIE & SQUEEZER SET with Block (8014)

This has good price now ($60 --> $20) and it is good to have more squeezer sets so you don't have to change them so often from the yokes.

DRILL HOUSING AND BUSHING KIT (25783)

Might be those nice-to-have tools.

Other tools you'll need or would make life easier: Torque wrench. I'll get mine from local store -- Avery has wide variety from cheap to expensive so can't decide between them. I want to try it first and buy then. Air die grinder would be very handy if you have adequate compressor. It requires a lot of air so small 50 litre compressor is out of question. I don't have either large compressor or air die grinder but would like to have them. You'll need variety of files. Better to get them from local stores as you see what you get. Later you'll need some tubing tools (fuel lines etc.) and also safety wiring tools. And as said, pneumatic squeezer helps a lot, but doesn't grow muscles that much. :D Spray gun for a primer (if you are going to use). I got one from Van's and didn't like it. Now I've borrower one very small and good gun from a friend. Haven't found similar from any store yet so haven't bought my own yet.

Any help?
Hopefully you got something. As there ain't many threads under tools, read them once more. And your English is just fine, don't worry about it. PS. Let Avery ship your tools to Van's and then let Van's ship everything (tools+emp. kit) to you. It should become cheaper that way. Have a nice Xmas!

planetools.com is another option

I would suggest you look at planetools.com. They offer a pretty complete kit at a very competitive price. I have been most satisified with their service, too. I recently had to buy some additional clecos and they were able to respond faster than any of the other suppliers.

My kit included the pneumatic squeezer and DRDT-2. I strongly recommend these tools. They are time and labor savers.

Good luck on your kit.

more tools...

Hi Claudio,

I bought the Cleaveland Tools RV kit which has worked out well so far (7A emp almost complete). The only tools I've had to add on so far were a torque wrench (20-100 inch pounds) and #10 screw dimple dies. That one was a pain because I was stuck not being able to finish the rudder until it came. At least you also use it for the elevators. Another worthwhile thing might be a second set of 3/32 dimple dies so you can grind one set down to fit some of the narrow spots (although I've managed with just one set so far). Another thing that I've found useful when drilling out rivets is a 1/8" drill bit (just a tiny bit smaller than the #30) and a 3/32" bit (smaller than #40) -- less likely to make the hole larger! Also order some oops rivets.

Have fun learning fractions of inches! Oh, one more thing... read the instructions carefully and read ahead. They can be confusing to us native speakers, so I can't imagine what it might be like in a 2nd language, even though you obviously speak and read english well. I'm lucky, when I've misread something and screwed up, it only takes 2 days to get the replacement part through the mail, or 1 hr round trip to drive to Vans. You won't have that luxury!

bill
RV7A -- HS, VS, Rudder and elevators complete, QB due in Jan.

The most important thing would probably be to find other homebuilders in your area and see how they got their tools. Even better, just buy their tools...they don't need them anymore. If I had it to do again, I would buy all used tools especially if shipping was a problem.

My whole family's from Italy. I'll probably be visiting in 2 or 3 years. Hopefully you'll be flying by then and can take me for a ride :D

My Italian's pretty good as I grew up with it...you're English is probably better, though :)

Hi Claudio,
I'm in the UK and bought my toolkit from www.planetools.com in the US. The services from Planetools was very good. I tailored the kit a bit and they helped me with that. I didn't encounter any difficulties importing from the US into the EU. I went for planetools as they were a fair bit cheaper than buying in the UK - they had an offer on a pneumatic squeezer. I did subsequently buy a hand squeezer too. I bought the DRDT-2 dimpler and have been very happy with it. I'm also very happy with the Sioux 3600rpm palm drill - a terrific bit of kit. As said by others, I would recommend getting two countersink cages.
Regards,
Steve Hutt
RV-7 Emp
UK

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and sorry for the lag in my reply, I was away from home for Christmas holidays.

I like the DRDT-2 dimpler that I'll add to the list as well as the other items suggested. Then, I'll check prices from the supplier mentioned searching for the best deal.

Pirkka: thank you for your extremely detailed reply, very useful.

For John (and everyone visiting Italy): I live close to wonderful places to fly over: Positano, Costiera Amalfitana, Capri, Paestum... so, if someone will visit south Italy give me a call!!

mototopo said:
Pirkka: thank you for your extremely detailed reply, very useful.
Nice if you found them useful. You can save a lot of money for getting cheaper tools and you really don't need that much of them. They just make things easier and you end up finishing your plane faster. They are all choises... as there is lot to do with the tools, and eventually they are just small portion of the budget, I rather just buy and enjoy building. Once you have finished your plane, you can sell good stuff away if you wish.

I'm now gathering my second tool order and now planning pneumatic squeezer... hand squeezing seems to overdo my side/back a bit (had some sort of myositis there too) so I think it's better finish plane and be healty than end up being cripple.

Today I also found a tip (couldn't find that website now) that #40 wing nut cleco can be used with "pop-riveter dimples" for dimpling. That would be useful in tight places like in leading edge holes in the middle of the skins. So you might want one wing nut cleco too - that is another $3. :D

Back