What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRDT-2 Dimpler Pics Needed

David Clifford

Well Known Member
Could anyone please pm me a few pics of their DRDT-2. I am gonna build one for my RV-10 project that just arrived and I need front and side photos of the top plunge assembly and also the bottom plate area. Measurements wouldn't hurt! :) Also a part number and manufacturer of the top lever if its marked. I should be able to build it for under $150 in materials and I will then post a nice write up with plans to build one that other builders can fabricate if they feel so inclined to do so. Thanks in advance!! :)

David Clifford

David Clifford said:
Could anyone please pm me a few pics of their DRDT-2. I am gonna build one for my RV-10 project that just arrived and I need front and side photos of the top plunge assembly and also the bottom plate area. Measurements wouldn't hurt! :) Also a part number and manufacturer of the top lever if its marked. I should be able to build it for under $150 in materials and I will then post a nice write up with plans to build one that other builders can fabricate if they feel so inclined to do so. Thanks in advance!! :)

David Clifford

Why not just contact the inventor, designer and builder of the DRDT-2 and ask for his blueprints and any other proprietary information you need?

In my opinion, the DRDT-2 front end kit and plans are reasonably priced, and I doubt if they can be duplicated at the same quality at home for much less. I did build my own frame using the plans from Experimentalaero, the plans are on their website at www.experimentalaero.com Search the forum archives and you will find a photo album I submitted showing the construction. I was very happy with the parts I bought from Experimental Aero, and no, I am not in any way connected with this company. It's just a purchase that I am very happy with and I really like my dimpler!

David,

As the designer, inventor, manufacturer and one of the retailer of the DRDT-2 I am flattered that you think so highly of the tool that you want to build one on your own. There is a relationship between time and money and you may not be spending as much money (TBD) building the DRDT-2 but you will be spending a lot of your own time.

The front end kit is being sold to those who have either the skills and tools to weld up a frame or have a friend who can. The machined and purchased parts in the front end kit are purchased in quantity to reduce costs to the customer. If you have the tools (IE mill, lathe, laser cutter, nickel plating) then you could in fact reproduce the tool. However it will take a fair amount of time.

Costs add up quickly when you have to buy minimum quantities of materials (case in point the steel used in the frame. I was able to find a short length of steel of the size I needed for my prototype, about $30. However short pieces are hard to come by and the steel is sold in minimum 20' lengths for about $160).

If you feel inclined to copy tool, go right ahead. However if you decide to publish instructions or plans on how to build one keep in mind that even though you could build one not everyone is properly equipped to do so.

The frame fabrication drawing is available on my website for your review.
www.experimentalaero.com

I'd rather be building my plane than building tools.

Even if I could build a DRDT myself, the savings divided by time would work out to where a part time job flipping burgers would be a better investment of my time.

Love it

I have the DRDT-2. I bought the whole thing and assembled it in about 10 min. That leaves much more time for bulding. :D :D

As fas as use of the tool I LOVE IT! I can dimple any time I want to without disturbing anybody and I can here my music playing while I dimple.

If your really into building tools then design a slick whatchmacallit and sell them to the RV community, because people like me are always looking for a better way of doing a repetitve job.

Just my $.02.

Thanks Paul. I have contacted you via email and will be sending a check tomorrow. Now that I see the quality of the product on your website,,there is NO WAY I am going to try and build one myself! Thanks everyone for your replies!
David Clifford

Pmerems said:
David,

As the designer, inventor, manufacturer and one of the retailer of the DRDT-2 I am flattered that you think so highly of the tool that you want to build one on your own. There is a relationship between time and money and you may not be spending as much money (TBD) building the DRDT-2 but you will be spending a lot of your own time.

The front end kit is being sold to those who have either the skills and tools to weld up a frame or have a friend who can. The machined and purchased parts in the front end kit are purchased in quantity to reduce costs to the customer. If you have the tools (IE mill, lathe, laser cutter, nickel plating) then you could in fact reproduce the tool. However it will take a fair amount of time.

Costs add up quickly when you have to buy minimum quantities of materials (case in point the steel used in the frame. I was able to find a short length of steel of the size I needed for my prototype, about $30. However short pieces are hard to come by and the steel is sold in minimum 20' lengths for about $160).

If you feel inclined to copy tool, go right ahead. However if you decide to publish instructions or plans on how to build one keep in mind that even though you could build one not everyone is properly equipped to do so.

The frame fabrication drawing is available on my website for your review.
www.experimentalaero.com

Good choice David. It is a great tool with high quality. I purchased just the head and built the rest. If doing it over again I would probably just buy the entire thing. Mine works great and looks good but Paul's price is very reasonable IMHO. Paul is good to work with also. You will enjoy using the DRDT-2.

Pmerems said:
Costs add up quickly when you have to buy minimum quantities of materials (case in point the steel used in the frame. I was able to find a short length of steel of the size I needed for my prototype, about $30. However short pieces are hard to come by and the steel is sold in minimum 20' lengths for about $160). ...
Paul, I purchased your front end kit but found some difficulty locating the necessary 3x6 tubing without ordering a full joint. I did find a length of scrap 4x8 tubing for $18, so I made a DRDT-2 on steroids. It works excellently and the front end kit is first class. Thanks
-mike

drdt2steroidsia5.jpg

Back