What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avery Die Set for Brake Rivets

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Maybe I'm the only one on this forum who didn't know about these, but wow!

Man, how did I ever live without these things! For all the years I have owned airplanes, I have changed brake pads with one of those little red hammer frame thingies, driving out the old rivets and pounding in the new ones with a hammer.

When I changed pads the other day, Karl (RV8N) loaned me his Avery Die set made for this purpose. I put them in my squeezer, inserted the brake pad/rivet combination, and squeezed the trigger. How civilized! And the rivets were perfect - just like the ones that come from the Cleveland factory. I had never been able to put brake rivets in without getting little splits before.

One of life's little luxuries for not much money....once you own a squeezer of course! ;)

Paul

I've used the Avery die set for riveting brake pads for about six year now, and I agree they are 'easy as pie' to use to squeeze brake rivets to the pad. You'll get a perfect rivet, every time ;) Rosie

Brake dies

If I had a dime for every time I've loaned these out, they'd be paid for by now. Everyone on my airport loves them. No excuse for ever smacking brake rivets with a hammer again.

Back