What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yellow, DFW-based RV?

txaviator

Well Known Member
So, does anyone know who is based in and around the DFW area in a bright yellow RV-something or other? Looks like maybe a -6 or -7?

They buzz my house quite often on weekends, and I must admit, when I hear them coming, there is no doubt it's an RV! I have seen it mutliple times, on a Northwesterly route from GKY, over to maybe Hicks or NW Regional?

It also provides great inspiration when I get to stop bucking rivets and watch them pass overhead....although it is a rather quick pass over! Whoever it is has some serious horses kickin' up under that cowling!

Thanks...

There's two -8's here at 52f (Northwest Regional). One's gotta 200hp C/S setup the other a 180 FP. The 200 hp C/S -8 got me hooked. Gotta -8 in the garage.

probably this one

Don Christiansen
Based at Lancaster

113_1329.JPG

It's bright yellow, like that one. However, I may never truly know: it's moving so darned fast that there is no way to tell the trim colors! Whoever it is obviously departs Arlington Muni (GKY) and heads NW which takes them right over the UTA football stadium....which is just a block SE of my home.

It is so sweet to hear that sound coming over the house! As a matter of fact, the last time it came over, the wife heard it first! She started yelling "hey, here comes the RV!" You've gotta love it when the wife is even listening for them!

Thats an 8

Clay, thats an RV8,, he said it's a 6/7,
I haven't seen many Yellow 6/7s.
I know of a Yellow 6A based at Red Bird, I dought he is buzzing anyone.
Give us more clues.

Last edited:
You sure it's a 6/7?

I doubt it is John in his yellow 6 too... (based at Redbird).

The reason I think you're seeing Don is because Don flys A LOT (almost every Saturday and Sunday morning) and Don is usually going full bore all the time. :)

Also, if you plot the course from Lancaster, around the south side of the Cedar hill towers, then straight for the slot beween Meacham's airspace and the edge of the class B that you pass through to get to Hicks, you go right over Arlington.

Now, if you're sure this plane is departing Arlington, you're gonna have to go visit and ask who has a yellow RV there.

I'll see Don tonight at our EAA chapter meeting and will tell him to circle that stadium for your benefit next time he flies over.

We're also having a young eagles event at Mesquite on Saturday at 8:30 if you want to stop by and see a group of local RVs. (we might even give a ride to an 'old eagle' if you ask) http://www.eaachapter.com/168

--Clay

Thanks for the info, everyone. I have determined based on your tips, that it must be Don. I 'thought' it was a side-by-side (6 or 7) but wasn't sure by any means. He comes over low and fast, so it could very easily be a tandem and I just haven't paid close enough attention. Also, I'm not positive where the flights originate, but based on his trajectory, it would have appeared like GKY. However, expanding that out, Lancaster makes perfect sense too! I bet it is Don. A circle @ 2-seconds past the stadium (@ that speed) would have him circling my house, if he is ever in the circling mood!

Thanks again everyone!

Back