What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harmon Rocket dimension questions

autoglide

Well Known Member
I have a close friend with a serious interest in buying a Harmon Rocket.
Would someone please tell me how much bigger/longer/wider the pilots cockpit area is compared to an RV-4. He is too big/tall to fit comfortably in my 4. I recall reading somewhere that the pilots area is a wider & longer space.
Hopefully, for his sake it's true.
Thx in advance for all answers.

Marvin

I dont have the exact dimensions handy, but until someone else comes along with them, yes, the HR-II is significantly roomier in front than a -4.

IIRC from having started an HRII about 18 years ago, the front cockpit is 4 inches wider, and the length from the back seat to the firewall is about 4 inches more than an RV-4.

What Miles said is correct. More specifically, there is 4" added between the front and rear seats. Then if you were to widen the RV-4 fuselage from the rear seat bulkhead to the cowl cheeks... you'd get about what Miles said, about 4" wider in the front seat.

If I recall, the front seat leg room doesn't change, but it is possible to move the front seat aft a little bit with careful planning.

I'm 6-1 with a 34 inch inseam and find the legroom perfectly acceptable in the Rocket, but if I really want to stretch out on a long flight I will slide my feet under/behind the rudder pedals and still can't touch the firewall.

If I remember correctly, it has been almost 15 years since I built my last HRII, that the panel is moved forward a couple of inches. This puts the panel a nice distance ahead for both vision and reach. It also makes the cabin feel much larger, and less claustrophobic.
The cabin is 4" wider at the #4 bulkheads (main spar) and this allows me to turn and look back to the tail, something not practically possible in the RV4.
The rear seat width is standard RV4, but the rear height is better with the raised turtle deck. The added length in the rear seat floor, four or five inches, makes the rear seat quite comfortable for longer legged passengers.
When I had my RV4 I remember thinking of all the things I would change if I were to build it again; and then I read about the HRII, which was exactly what I was wishing for!

Mike's comments remind me of one alternate seating position. On long flights in my Rocket I could cross both legs around the control stick, i.e sitting indian style.

Try that in an RV-8! Heck, try crossing even ONE leg in an RV-8! Or most any other RV for that matter.

Yes, the Rocket cockpit is quite roomy by any measure other than headroom, but that is up to the builder's canopy choice and installation. Even headroom is possible.

Yes, every time I fly the -8 now I get that uncomfortable, "closed in" feeling around the shoulders, knees and feet.

Almost complete Harmon Rocket II for sale

I have a friend who has built many aircraft. He went and built a HR II for himself, minus engine, prop, panel and paint, but has now decided to restore a Stearman. He has done almost of the work on the aircraft. Needs engine, prop, panel and paint. The rest is completed with most of the extras. On gear and wheels at this time. Great workmanship. Cost is $50,000, which is about what the Vans and Harmon kits cost with the extras like canopy, fuel pump, electric flaps, and electric trim.

He will sell as is, or will finish it for you the way you want.

Contact me at [email protected] and I will put you in contact with him. Located up in Northern Idaho.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

HR2 Cockpit Room

Yes, the HR2 cockpit is 4" wider and 4" longer. The length addition was made behind the front seat making the rear seat more roomy.
But I changed that; I'm 6'2" tall and want total comfort; so I moved the pilot seat, front stick, and instrument panel back. The pilot's seat is like an easy chair for me now. One of the real benefits of homebuilding - you get to make it your own way :)

Back