What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SEM/NAPA 7220 Question

RV74ME

Well Known Member
Anyone know if these two self etch primers are available by the gallon (to use in a sprayer)? I like them, but gets pretty messy with the rattle can

Primers

Anyone know if these two self etch primers are available by the gallon (to use in a sprayer)? I like them, but gets pretty messy with the rattle can

If you're going to mix and spray, why not go with one of the more common primers like Akzo or SW P60G2?

I was able to buy the SEM self etching primer by the gallon at a local paint store. $100/gallon in 2009, if I remember correctly.

It appears that Summit Racing carries it in gallons and quarts as well as rattle cans. Looks like about $30 a quart now.

If you're going to mix and spray, why not go with one of the more common primers like Akzo or SW P60G2?

Larry,

Are you happy with the p60g2? I might give that a shot. Just started on my -7 tail, and using rattle can but can see how that aint gonna cut it when i get to the bigger parts. Buddy of mine highly recommends variprime, but it aint cheap at over $300/gal

SW P60G2

Larry,

Are you happy with the p60g2? I might give that a shot. Just started on my -7 tail, and using rattle can but can see how that aint gonna cut it when i get to the bigger parts. Buddy of mine highly recommends variprime, but it aint cheap at over $300/gal

Love it. Easy to mix (1:2)), spray and dries in seconds.
It's light. I can shoot it in low temps with no issues.
Very easy to find locally.
Seems to work well with SW Jet Flex primer based interior paint too.
If you go with it, let me know if you need help with it.

Steve,

The answer to your question is "yes".

I used SEM spray cans for my entire project, with good results. The reason was that when building, I would get the parts ready, aluminiprepped, and alodined the night before. In the morning I would get up early, spray the parts, then go take a shower. Using the spray cans meant I didn't have to clean out my spray gun.

The trick to getting good results with a spray can was to place the cans in front of my little space heater, use a clip-on pistol grip for the cans, and dab the nozzle with a paper towel every two or three passes. The heater would help make the solvents mix better when you would shake the cans.

I now have 700 hours on the plane and it has held up well. the only real scratches are on the seat backs where everything that goes in the baggage compartment scratches it.

Buddy of mine highly recommends variprime, but it aint cheap at over $300/gal

I used variprime and an airbrush. Purchased 1 qt at a time. Did fay surfaces plus cabin and used 2.5 qts. Was able to find variprime at local auto paint shops.

Back