What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Metars

Larco

Well Known Member
It seems like after the update from Navworx (600B) for the 2020 mandate the unit is much stronger in the receiver mode. we can now get traffic and weather on the ground at some airports. My question is, now it seems like fewer of the airports in the Phoenix area show METAR info. The weather graghics do function fine. Has anyone here locally seen the same thing? thinking that maybe the ADSB system has made changes.
Thanks for any input. Larry

Last edited:
There are four different tiers of ADS-B ground stations, and they all send different ranges and types of METARS. You may be getting only a surface station or a high altitude station while on the ground. These will fill in once in the air.

Also, it's possible with really iffy reception to get one METAR but not the next. They are only transmitted every 5 minutes so unless you've been receiving for 10 mins solid, you may not have a complete picture.

Thank you for the response. About every airport around the Phoenix area has had METARS available on my 4500 screen and worked fine before the update. Now since the hardware update some of the airports KCHD, KPAN,KDVT for example will not display METARS while Some others still do. The Skyview system in a friends 12 does display all of them so I have to assume that the info is available from the ADSB system. Pictorially the weather seems to work as it should and this is all while flying.

I am not saying that this is a fault of Navworx, I’m just trying to wrap my head around the issue so to know where to go next. Navworx said it must be a tower issue??? They say that if you are getting the weather then you should get all the available info from the towers which makes sense. I am getting the weather but not all the METAR info that was displayed before the update.

If anyone can shed some light on this please advise.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Larry

Last edited:
Back